PDA

View Full Version : 2013 How can I move this baluster off the nose of the top step?

patricks
2013-04-17, 02:00 PM
In the attached image and Revit file, I made a rail for a short stair and landing between two different building floor levels. Instead of sketching the rail path line from nose-to-nose of the top and bottom risers, I moved the line up 1 1/2" to get the bottom baluster post off the edge of the concrete step, since you can't core drill at the edge in the field, obviously.

However despite the path sketch line breaking 1 1/2" past the top edge of the top riser, it still puts a post right at the edge - I guess because it's hosted to the stair and the Corner Balusters are set to have 0" Space (Start and End posts have 3/4" space since they're 1 1/2" diameter posts).

So if I change the corner post setting, then the post at the other corner of the landing will be out of place.

I don't see why it has to put a "corner" post at every slope change of the railing. That's not how railings are built in real life. Posts go where they need to structurally, independent of where the slope of the rail changes based on the step/landing configuration.

damon.sidel
2013-04-17, 04:54 PM
There is a setting you can change. See the attached image. It defaults to "Each Segment End", but if you change it to "Angles Greater Than" it will only appear when the angle of the railing changes IN PLAN.

patricks
2013-04-17, 08:08 PM
Didn't work. Actually since I made the post above, I changed the rail sketch to just a single line running along both the stairs and the landing, and then the line where it turns the corner at the landing. Yet it still has that post right where the rail goes from sloped to flat, right on the nose of the step. Changing that setting to Angles Greater Than didn't change anything.

Seems like no matter what I do it puts a post there where the rail goes from sloped to flat. Even the 4' spacing pattern doesn't follow the "Break Pattern at Each Segment End" setting.

I finally got it to work by changing the pattern to start from the end instead of the beginning, and changing the spacing between my regular baluster pattern from 4' to 4' - 6 1/2". Problem is that that would only work on THIS particular stair/landing configuration. Any other size and I'd probably have to make a completely different rail type.

damon.sidel
2013-04-18, 12:39 PM
Using the setting I suggested PLUS editing the sketch, I was able to control the location of the baluster. Instead of extending the bottom segment like you did, I added a small segment in between. The baluster moves with the break in the segment as shown in the attached image. I don't completely understand the behavior, but I think it works.