PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Model locking

Ryan Cockerill
2013-04-24, 03:07 PM
Hi,

I have a Revit model that I want to send to a Mechanical Consultant. Both office's use Revit 2013, the only problem is that the mechanical consultant keep's taking the model and adjusting it without relaying the changes back to our office.

My question is:
1) Is there a way to lock our Revit model so that the consultant can use the model to design his work; but can't change any of our modelled elements?
OR
2) Is there a way for us to send a model to the mechanical consultant and (after getting it back) verify any discrepancies between the model they send back and our original model? (Aside from checking all the grid lines and modelled elements individually)

Note: We are also a little concerned about the consultant ripping off families that we've taken great amounts of time to create. Is there a way to make families uneditable?

Ryan.
P.S. I know i've asked three separate questions here, thank you for your patience.

rbcameron1
2013-04-24, 03:34 PM
1) Yes and no, you can technically "Pin" all the elements in the model, possibly confusing them as to how to change things, unless they know how to unpin. ;) But they could add anything they wanted. Sounds like you need to have a heart to heart with your consultants first. I have another suggestion but not sure its a great idea.

2)Yes, Collaborate --> Copy/Monitor and/or Coordinate Review (via link) I guess I've never checked my model against my own model before though...?

3)Not that I know of. The only thing I've been able to do is deeply embed my digital information into the families I build. And I mean buried deep to where it would take an expert and an exorbitant amount of time to remove ALL the material, text, objects and linetypes, and references in the family that indicate me or my firm. If I can't keep my families safe, you'd better believe that it'll have my credit to them. People are going to scab models off you whether you like it or not. I've worked at a firm that could care less and a firm that does everything possible to keep families internal. I liked the firm that could care less better. ;)
There is also a plugin that can remove and replace families, i.e. you keep all your hardworked ones and replace them with 2D placeholders. I forget what its called though, sorry.

antman
2013-04-24, 04:12 PM
Everything rbcameron said is good, but just to hammer on point 2 a little...
Consultants should NEVER work directly in your model. EVER. They should link yours into theirs, and you link theirs into yours. IMO, Copy/Monitor is strictly for levels and grids, and I can't think of anything from a consultant that should be copied into the Architectural model.

Ryan Cockerill
2013-04-24, 07:13 PM
Thank you for the help