PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Predefined Custom Detail Types for Project Browser

gas163
2013-04-30, 08:13 PM
We are attempting to standardize our browser organization by establishing a browser organization that categorizes details by type. We have added a project parameter called View Type and organized our browser to sort appropriately using the View Type parameter. My question is, can we established a predefined list of View Types that a user would choose from to properly categorize their detail? For example could we have a predefined View Type list that included things like "Casework", "Cutainwall", "Stair" etc. etc. which would encourage more consistent browser organization from job to job? Right now our users are creating all types of details, naming them, and organizing them completely randomly from one project to the next. I know that once I have named a view type and assigned it to a view that name is available in a pull down list when I go to establish the view type for the next view. Is there a way to create that pull down list with out already having views assigned to a given type or would we need to have dummy views just to establish the standard type name we'd like to use? We'd like to set up our template in advance to control as much of the browser organization as possible.

I hope this question is clear enough. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

cdatechguy
2013-04-30, 08:22 PM
I use drafting views....See pic for example

Ah...should mention this is in my template....so its always like this when the project starts...

gas163
2013-04-30, 08:41 PM
That looks like what we are trying to achieve. So if I understand what you're doing you've actually created two project parameters for your views and you have your browser organized to first group by one project parameter and then by the second project parameter. You're not sorting by the default Family and Type first. Is that correct?

Do you then just remove the drafting view placeholder when you create your first view in that category?

Thanks so much for your help this is great!

cdatechguy
2013-04-30, 08:57 PM
Yep, I have View Type and a Subview parameter

Filter by Discipline-->View Type-->Subview-->View Name

gas163
2013-05-01, 01:51 PM
I really appreciate the help!

jsteinhauer
2013-05-01, 02:52 PM
Michael,

Why not just create a new Type of drafting view? If you think of Drafting views as a family, they already come with one type 'Detail'. You can then create new types and sort your project browser by types. I believe this was a new feature in 2013, so you may have had your template setup prior to that.

Cheers,
Jeff S.

cdatechguy
2013-05-01, 03:47 PM
Michael,

Why not just create a new Type of drafting view? If you think of Drafting views as a family, they already come with one type 'Detail'. You can then create new types and sort your project browser by types. I believe this was a new feature in 2013, so you may have had your template setup prior to that.

Cheers,
Jeff S.
I tried it with the floor plans....it didn't work out the way I wanted for both Arch and structural...