PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Repeating curtainwall Pattern

mgoldberg376536
2013-05-01, 03:20 PM
What's the best method for creating a repeating curtainwall system? For example.. Each of 6 CW modules is 10'W x 15'T and is composed of differing mullion types and elevations. Could a unique CW family be created, and then grouped to allow quick copying across a building elevation? Grouping them together loses some parametric qualities, but what is the best method that won't bog down the model?

damon.sidel
2013-05-02, 05:44 PM
Welcome on your first post!

I think what you want is to start thinking about a custom Curtain PANEL family. If you have a Curtain Wall with 10' Wide x 15' Tall divisions, you can replace each panel with a custom panel. You would create your 6 custom panels that you then manually choose which location to insert into the wall. Depending on the configuration of the 6 panels, you could choose to create 6 families or 1 family with 6 types.

Hope that helps!

dhurtubise
2013-05-03, 08:12 AM
What are you loosing from grouping a CW?
Using a custom panel to replace the entire configuration will screw quantities though

damon.sidel
2013-05-03, 02:25 PM
Using a custom panel to replace the entire configuration will screw quantities though
True, depending on how you want to count them. If it is a unitized system with the 10' W x 15' T as the module, then you'd be counting units. You wouldn't get individual glazed panels or mullions, but that might be OK depending on what you need

What are you loosing from grouping a CW?
I use groups for some things, but I've never liked grouping Curtain Walls. Personal preference for the organization and function of my model, I suppose. Again, I think it would depend on how you want to use the model for scheduling, material take-offs, parametric flexibility. What are your priorities, mgoldberg?