PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Keep layer names when exporting to DWG

david.ge.johansson346431
2013-05-09, 02:35 PM
We build our models in Sketchup. Export a 3d DWG and import that into Revit 2014 (through Conceptual mass). That way we can export sections etc from Revit.
The problem is that Revit sees the 3D DWG as a Mass, and therefore don export the layers we want.

Is there a way to "explode" the 3D DWG in Revit so it gets divided in to the layers we had before it was transformed into a Mass.

Thanks you.D

Scott D Davis
2013-05-09, 06:40 PM
There are a couple issues in place here when using Sketchup models in Revit. The problem is that Sketchup models ONLY faces. No solids. Revit models solids. When you bring a Sketchup model into Revit via DWG and explode it, the Faces explode into linework, and essentially disappear. You could try opening the exported DWG in Autocad, and convert the 3D surfaces to solids, but you wont have the best results...and its a workaround. You should just avoid all the workarounds and model in Revit to start. I'm also curious why you are going through the extra step to convert SKP files to DWG, when Revit can import an SKP file natively?

MikeJarosz
2013-05-09, 07:28 PM
Then there's the obvious: Revit doesn't have layers!

david.ge.johansson346431
2013-05-10, 01:16 PM
There are no faces or solids when i export a DWG from Sketchup? Just lines?

Everything works perfectly except the layer issue when i export the DWGs from revit. I´m not sure you understand my problem. The layers i created in SKP are visible in Revit, but doesnt export them. Just a 0-layer and Mass-layer.

Revit cant import complex SKP files. Theres to many issues with that to bring up.

david.ge.johansson346431
2013-05-10, 01:33 PM

Is this not Layers?

damon.sidel
2013-05-10, 04:23 PM
Here's an idea, but it would only work if you don't have too many layers: you could export each layer of your SketchUp model separately and import them each. You could create subcategories of Mass for each. As I write this, it sounds like a lot of work, but if you haven't found a solution, it may be something to consider.