PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Can you eliminate a column grand total in a schedule but still grand total another column?

robinhill833400
2013-05-12, 11:08 AM
I had hoped that Revit 2014 would solve this but I cant see how.

FIRST PROBLEM:
The Area column calculates its totals from each element: Schedule Properties>Formatting> field 'Area' with Calculate totals ticked
So this is adding up the total area of each of that type of element, allowing me to calculate the amount from the cost per m2 column :)
Then I want to add up all the separate amounts to give a grand total, so have to tick grand totals in Schedule Properties>Sorting/Grouping. That gives me the grand total Amount under column 'Amount' :) But it also gives me a grand total under column 'Area' :? which I dont want...how can I get the grand total only in the column I need? If I unclick 'Calculate totals for the area field, I just get a blank field for area..which is not helpful.:|

SECOND PROBLEM:
The grand total for amount insists on left aligning, whereas the fields above are set to right align so monetary values align vertically.
If the fields above are set to left align, this looks bad when the number of digits in the number are different.:|

Has anyone found a solution to these issues?

It seems so basic I assume I must be missing something obvious, but I havent found any info on this aspect of schedules as yet.

jsteinhauer
2013-05-13, 02:14 PM
Under the Formatting tab of the Schedule's properties, select Edit. Then in the 'Fields:' select Area. Now uncheck Calculate totals. Can't help you with the justification of the totals.

Cheers,
Jeff S.

robinhill833400
2013-05-14, 04:05 PM
If I do that then the total of each area is not reported...and so the Area column becomes blank. It would work if I wasnt collecting all the elements of the same type together by not itemising them, but I don't want a huge list of every wall in the project, just a list of the areas for each wall type that I can then cost.

Seychellian
2020-10-15, 07:38 AM
I had hoped that Revit 2014 would solve this but I cant see how.

FIRST PROBLEM:
The Area column calculates its totals from each element: Schedule Properties>Formatting> field 'Area' with Calculate totals ticked
So this is adding up the total area of each of that type of element, allowing me to calculate the amount from the cost per m2 column :)
Then I want to add up all the separate amounts to give a grand total, so have to tick grand totals in Schedule Properties>Sorting/Grouping. That gives me the grand total Amount under column 'Amount' :) But it also gives me a grand total under column 'Area' :? which I dont want...how can I get the grand total only in the column I need? If I unclick 'Calculate totals for the area field, I just get a blank field for area..which is not helpful.:|

SECOND PROBLEM:
The grand total for amount insists on left aligning, whereas the fields above are set to right align so monetary values align vertically.
If the fields above are set to left align, this looks bad when the number of digits in the number are different.:|

Has anyone found a solution to these issues?

It seems so basic I assume I must be missing something obvious, but I havent found any info on this aspect of schedules as yet.

Did you ever solve this? I am trying to do the same thing and would appreciate any feedback you might have.

Seychellian
2020-10-15, 07:44 AM
Did you ever solve this? I am trying to do the same thing and would appreciate any feedback you might have.

ok so i solved it straight after posting this. See below.....

marmiketin
2020-10-15, 07:31 PM
This is done by setting the Grand Totals under Sorting/Grouping to "Totals Only", then in the Formatting tab make sure that the fields you do not want totaled are set to "No Calculation" and the ones you do want totaled are set to "Calculate Totals". To align the totals in the column click the column letter at the top in the schedule and select the alignment you want. Then you can click in the column header box and align that separately.