PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Foundations still duplicate when unlocking wall layer

robinhill833400
2013-05-22, 09:13 AM
What I thought was a useful feature, being able to unlock a layer of wall at the bottom or top and vertically offset, still doesn't work with foundations as far as I can see.

Try with a plastered cavity wall, edit the wall by -> edit type, click Structure Edit button, click Preview, set View: Section:Modify type, zoom in to base of wall, click Modify button, in preview window select the short line at the base of the plaster layer and click to open the padlock button, and OK and apply to the wall type.
In a section view you can now adjust the plaster height...so logically I set the plaster height to floor level, base of wall to top of foundation level, insert floor with option to cut out overlapping wall, and I get a nice junction without plaster continuing on again beneath the floor (without unlocking the plaster layer, the plaster would be shown below floor level as well). So far so good.

Now I add a foundation to the base of the wall using Structure tab-> Foundation>Wall tool.

And foundations are added to the base of the wall, and to the base of the plaster! As so (floor omitted for clarity):92224
Obviously I don't want a second foundation at the base of the plaster, but I see no way to switch it off.
How do others deal with this? Separate walls at different levels?
If so what use is the ability to split the height of layers of the wall?
It seems a potentaily useful and time saving feature is spoilt by Revit not following through in how it affects other Revit tools.

This behavior was flagged up when first released, so I was surprised it doesn't appear resolved in Revit 2014, or am I missing something?
I had hoped Revit 2014 would resolve this and extend the feature to split height of layers to roofs too, as presumably the main burden of programming the routine to split elements is already dealt with.

So how do you stop plaster showing below floor, whats the best method?
And how do you use the split wall layer tool to advantage?

STHRevit
2013-05-22, 02:24 PM
Did you set the wall base to GOUND FLOOR and the give an extension distance to the TOF? I think it needs to be the opposite to this.
Try setting the base of the wall to TOF and the use a negative value (-759) in the base extension for the plaster after it has been unlocked.
I'm not in front of revit ATM but I think this will resolve the issue(?)

robinhill833400
2013-05-23, 04:27 AM
Thanks for the reply, but:

1. Base Constraint set to TOF and Base Extension set to 759 gives the image above.

2. Base Constraint set to TOF and Base Extension set to -759 gives main found as expected, and a secondary found below plaster 759 below the Top of Found

3. Base Constraint set to Ground Floor and Base Extension set to -759 gives a found in the right place below plaster and a second found at Ground level, with the base of wall stopping at Ground Floor.

4. Base Constraint set to Ground Floor and Base Extension set to 759 gives a found 759 above ground Floor level below plaster and a second found at Ground level, with the base of wall stopping at Ground Floor.

All combinations have a secondary found attached to the base of the plaster layer. I can't see any reason why this would be wanted behaviour, so surely this must be a BUG which needs to be fixed. Anyone agree?

Robin

robinhill833400
2013-05-26, 03:30 PM
So the lack of response means you all think two foundations are a useful feature?

abouzane
2013-06-11, 03:58 PM
So the lack of response means you all think two foundations are a useful feature?

lol: only if we want to increase construction cost/confusion.

what is it like 2 lines of code.

i sware there are "2 lines of code" that needed to be added to about half this program to make it run smoother.

but i guess its not profitable.

RANT