PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Help creating an adaptative mass object

Wagurto
2013-05-24, 12:32 AM
I hope you can help me with this mass object. The idea is to create an object that will represent a building envelope as dictated by zoning regulations. This mass object should be flexible to allow me to manipulate 4 corners to adapt to the inside of the corner lots.
I am attaching an image that would describe better what I am trying to achieve.

Thanks

Will

damon.sidel
2013-05-24, 12:56 PM
I think you have to create some extra geometry to guide the chamfer and the top surface. Attached is a PDF with the approach I'd take.

Wagurto
2013-05-25, 09:07 PM
Thank you damon for your reply. However, the problem seams to be more complicated than that. Your sugestion only works if the figure is a square but if the figure is a irregular quadrilateral then it won't work. I made this image to show how each corner should behave in order to achieve what I want. I am not so sure that revit can handel this kind of geometry unless I don't know how to use it.
thanks for your help.

damon.sidel
2013-05-26, 01:30 PM
I think you can do what you want... I don't have time today to try it out, but if you can wait a day or two, I'll post a version.

Wagurto
2013-05-28, 11:50 PM
Thank you Damon, There is no rush and any help will be appreciated.

damon.sidel
2013-05-29, 12:45 PM
OK, Wagurto. I think I have something that works. There are currently only three parameters: h1 for the height of the box, h2 for the height of the chamfered portion, and b to control the amount of chamfer and make sure the angle is bisected. Mess around with it and see what you think. Two surfaces became triangulated when I moved some of the adaptive points and I'm not sure why, but it is a start.

Wagurto
2013-05-29, 01:57 PM
Damon, thank very much. It was a great attempt, however take a look at the first results and notices some manor problems. I would try to work with your model to see if I can fix it. Let me know if you can find why this is happening.
thanks

damon.sidel
2013-05-29, 05:42 PM
Try this one instead.

Wagurto
2013-05-29, 07:16 PM
It think some of the problems with the triangulation are fixed but for some reason the bisect angles are not working and the parallel lines neither.
I think you are pretty close on this one.
thanks

damon.sidel
2013-05-30, 01:06 PM
Ah, I think I see what I did wrong: I set up my parameter perpendicularly to the side not parallel. I'm testing it out now and I can't get the parameter to flex when it references the sides to keep them parallel. Hmm...

Wagurto
2013-05-31, 12:46 AM
Damon I think the problem is that the b distance have to be taken orthogonal to the reference point in order to keep them parallel. The problem is that i am not sure we can find or create that orthogonal point constrain to the reference point. What do you think?
thank you for all your help.

damon.sidel
2013-05-31, 01:34 PM
Exactly. We would need to dimension to the lines, not the points. I tried a few things to keep the two sides parallel, but don't have a good solution. Revit breaks the restraint every time I try to flex it. I think the rig I have set up is correct. If you can find a way to place a dimension/parameter to keep the sides parallel, you're in business. I'm out of time to spend on this, but keep me posted on any progress you have. Feel free to use my family as a starting point, just delete the dimensions and faces and see if you can get it to flex properly.

Good luck!

Quick question: What's this for? Just curious to see how it's being use.