PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Scheduling Question

jon357022
2013-05-29, 01:23 AM
Hello -

I'm working on a schematic design for a laboratory. There has been no need to create complex furniture and equipment families so as of now, my model includes an assortment of generic boxes (as equipment) with L x W x H parameters that I have duplicated around for 3d visualization. When duplicating these boxes, i have changed the name and assigned identifiable characteristics for each such as, mark, manufacturer, size, etc. I also changed the properties of the family to that of "specialty equipment" so that all of them would show up in my equipment schedule but for some reason, only one of them shows up.

Do i need to recreate all of the boxes as individual families in order to schedule them all or is there some other work around that i'm not aware of.

thanks in advance,

JB

Mike L Sealander
2013-05-29, 01:46 AM
Take a look at your schedule setup. Is your phase correct? Look for the check mark for "Itemize all instances". Sometimes schedules can be unintuitive if you have a lot of fields. You might also try to work your way slowly into a completed schedule by having the schedule contain only one or two fields at first. Then, as you begin to get a handle on how to manipulate schedules, you can add more parameters to the schedule.

jon357022
2013-05-29, 02:28 AM
Sounds good. the phase is correct and I've got "itemize all instances" un-checked
I guess the specific question is whether or not a generic box family that has been copied around and assigned a separate mark and description is the correct way to ensure each component gets scheduled?? I think I'm relying on the generic model for its simplicity in 3d but must be missing something when it comes to scheduling.

gustavomello
2013-05-29, 02:33 AM
From your text i'm assuming you have one family and various types to represent different equipments. And also looks like you unchecked "itemize all instances" and sorted your schedule by family. If it's the case that's why you can see only one item. Try to sort (sort/groupng tab) by type. Hope it helps.

gustavomello
2013-05-29, 02:36 AM
If you're changing only mark and description, try to sort by one of these parameters.

Dimitri Harvalias
2013-05-29, 07:28 AM
If 'itemize all instances' is unchecked you will only see a single instance of each family type not all instances. From what you have described the dimensional parameters you've created are 'instance' parametrs i.e. you do not need to create a new type to modify them, you change them individually (by instance).
To answer the other part of your question if all you require is an item count and the ability to attach schedulable data a simple placeholder family is all you need.

jon357022
2013-05-29, 12:35 PM
Thanks to all for the replies. I'm working through this as i read so pls bear with my questions.

What is the difference between the "Mark" under the properties tab for the family and "Type Mark" under the type properties tab? Does one supercede the other or counteract the other?

Dimitri Harvalias
2013-05-29, 01:30 PM
MARK is an instance parameter and TYPE MARK is a type parameter. In simple terms you can think of it as the difference between a serial number and a model number in terms of usage.

jon357022
2013-05-29, 01:47 PM
Makes sense.

In my equipment schedule which is setup as a Multi-Category in order to pick up Specialty and Mechanical Equipment, I've managed to succesfully tailor the components by Type Marks and Descriptions as required. It looks good but I'm picking up doors as well. Any way to rid the schedule of the doors?? I thought that there might be an easy way to filter these out but no such luck. Any thoughts??

Dimitri Harvalias
2013-05-29, 02:24 PM
A Multi-category schedule is just that, it will schedule objects from all categories sharing the parameters you are scheduling. You'll need to filter your schedule so it just includes the elements you want.