PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Figuring out what the other guy did.....

MikeJarosz
2013-05-29, 02:23 PM
For the first time, I am inheriting a nearly completed Revit model from another firm. The project went on hold a few years back, and for whatever reason, the client hired us to complete the project. Looking into the model, it is in my opinion well done. But some of the major assumptions have changed, like the structural system. For example, a lot of cast-in-place will be replaced with precast.

Naturally, the sheet borders will have to be replaced with all the new team members. On the existing border, I have found a number of lines that cannot be deleted. Nothing I can think of will delete these lines.

One other thing.....The file was upgraded from R2009 to R2013. Could the upgrade have introduced problems?

Devin_82
2013-05-29, 06:36 PM
I have run into this before. Let me guess, there are 4 lines that you can't delete? Apparently the folks at Revit have decided that there are going to be some elements in their family templates that they are going to keep the users from deleting. I can't possibly imagine why they might have done this, maybe there is some program critical reason, but I don't know.

You will see that this is the case when you try to create a new family and use the title block family template, the boundaries are can't be deleted. They can however be reduced in size to little 1/256" long lines, so this might be the workaround. You can also set them to invisible lines if you need to. One thing you can do is start with a generic annotation template an change the family category to title blocks, but then you are stuck with the ref planes because guess what, they can't be deleted...

There are similar constraints when creating hosted families that are much more obvious, you can't delete the host wall or whatever in the family.

I am pretty doubtful that the upgrade has anything to do with it, this has been present as long as I can remember.

MikeJarosz
2013-05-29, 06:46 PM
You hit the nail right on the head. It's the 4 boundary lines of the border. My plotter shows them just inside the edge trim and it looks bad. Since they have a visible parameter, I turned them off instead.