PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Spot Levels - Best Practice

Bastiat
2013-06-03, 06:54 AM
Hello,

We are doing wall sections at the moment and are using spot levels to generate all levels except for floor levels. We then over ride graphics in view and make the leader line look like a centreline.

All looks good but if you make even the slightest change to the walls the spot levels drop off and you have to re-do all of them.

We are now thinking of putting reference planes in everywhere and associating the spot levels to them instead of the walls. Does anyone else have any suggestions to sort this issue out?

Cheers.

Bastiat
2013-06-04, 12:02 AM

This is what I am talking about. Very annoying!

Bastiat
2013-06-05, 07:11 AM
Any ideas with this one?

I do not like the idea of adding levels for every item. Spot levels should work good the only problem is they don't.

bbeck
2013-06-05, 03:46 PM
Why are you not just using "levels"? Maybe I'm missing the point.

Bastiat
2013-06-06, 02:13 AM
Because if I used levels for all the parapets, window heads, window sills, ceiling levels, ridge levels, top of panel heights, RSD heights, pitching points of rafters, etc then it would make it confusing.

patricks
2013-06-06, 02:35 PM
Amen to that, I can't stand when projects have 30 million level lines in them. We typically do a few level lines for major datums like floor levels, roof bearing, top of parapet, etc. Then for other things in sections we either use a spot elevation, or dimension up/down from a level line. We have a spot elevation that has the same "target" annotation as our level lines, just not the same line style. It's not a big deal and still gets the point across.

gbrowne
2013-06-10, 02:54 PM
What patricks said. Levels aren't for everything that's a different vertical height on a project. They are for main floor levels. Everything else is an offset, or a reference plane or just a different height.