PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Let's post your Revit keyboard shortcut file or list your short cuts!!

sixingno1391313
2013-06-17, 07:18 PM
Hello,
I'm just starting to use shortcuts instead of using the muse. But I'm having a hard time aassigning hortcuts to each command without conflicts.
If you can post your Revit keyboard shortcut file or list your short cuts, it will help a lot of people learning/ fixing their shortcuts and make it more effective.
Thanks!

BIM Developer
2013-06-18, 06:31 PM
Shortcuts are HIGHLY personal and specialized. Mine, for example are different from a coworker who's had similar training.
I suggest reading through the Keyboard Shortcuts (KS) and customizing from there.

The one shortcut that we all agreed was needed was (RL) for Reference Line, replacing Reload Latest; because our firm focuses on family creation.

dzatto
2013-06-19, 03:32 PM
I try to keep my keys together so I'm not reaching across the keyboard. RL for reference line, for example. Mine is set to RR instead. But, like BIM Developer said, it's highly personal and specialized. Just set up a KS and try it out. If you don't like it or think of a better one, change it.

Another tip is to assign the same KS to all of the same commands. For example, all of my Edit commands are set to EE. Edit floor, edit ceiling, edit sweep, etc. etc. Revit knows that you've selected a floor to edit and will run the appropriate command. FF is set to finish all commands as well. Of course, if you're running 2014, you can now set it up to double click edit. But you'll still need the finish commands to speed things up.

gbrowne
2013-06-19, 03:41 PM
This may be controversial, but I like to keep things OOTB and not personalised. This means I can go to someone else's machine and do the same thing the same way. I thought AutoCAD offered far too much freedom to modify the user environment and find Revit refreshingly uniform. My £0.02

tedg
2013-06-19, 04:06 PM
This may be controversial, but I like to keep things OOTB and not personalised. This means I can go to someone else's machine and do the same thing the same way. I thought AutoCAD offered far too much freedom to modify the user environment and find Revit refreshingly uniform. My £0.02

That's what ._native commands are for.

mthurnauer
2013-06-27, 02:07 AM
I also like to keep mine as two keys close together or the same key twice. One command that I have edited and applied repeatedly to many commands is EE for Edit Sketch or Edit profile. You can apply this over and over. It is great to be able to click on a roof, floor, wall, railing sketch, etc., and just hit EE to edit the sketch. I then make FF for Finish Edit Mode. I am using EE and FF more than any other command. This is a list of some of the commands that I change or add to the OOTB commands. I am sure it is incomplete, but it is what comes to mind. Note that whenever you add a command that conflicts with an existing, you need to remove the other command.

EE
FF
DD - Detail Line
CC - Copy
MM - Move
QW - match properties
TR - Trim
RT - Rotate
BR - Break
OO - Offset
GG - Group
EX - Extend
MR - Masking Region
FR - Filled Region
KM - Keynote Material
KE - Keynote Element
KU - Keynote User
TT - Text
DC - Detail Component
AA - Align
MI - Mirror Pick Axis
CS - Create Similar
JJ - Join
UU - Unjoin
CB - Cut Profile

The OOTB commands I use most
WA - Wall
DR - door
TL - Thin Lines
TW - Tile Windows
VG - Visibility Graphics
AR - Array

Joshua Kohl
2013-06-27, 11:18 AM
That's what ._native commands are for.

What is this ._native you speak of?

tedg
2013-06-27, 03:55 PM
What is this ._native you speak of?

There's no actual "._native" command in AutoCAD (I was trying to be "clever")...

I was just mentioning that (as you may already know) you can access native AutoCAD commands on anyone's machine by preceding it with a period and/or underscore.

That way when your helping someone out at thier computer, you don't need to worry about thier shortcuts, alias's, macros etc.

(This is true in most cases that is)

But if you need to actually "work" at other peoples machines, that's where loading profiles and acaddoc.lsp files etc helps.

dkoch
2013-06-28, 11:53 AM
There's no actual "._native" command in AutoCAD (I was trying to be "clever")...

I was just mentioning that (as you may already know) you can access native AutoCAD commands on anyone's machine by preceding it with a period and/or underscore.

That way when your helping someone out at thier computer, you don't need to worry about thier shortcuts, alias's, macros etc.

(This is true in most cases that is)

But if you need to actually "work" at other peoples machines, that's where loading profiles and acaddoc.lsp files etc helps.

The period will force AutoCAD to run the out-of-the-box version of any commands that may have been redefined. The underscore will have AutoCAD translate the command into the local language (useful if you are distributing customizations to an international clientele).

jsteinhauer
2013-06-28, 02:24 PM
I only use a few custom keyboard commands, and I get a few looks from the older staff when they ask me what my custom commands are. But they still want me to help them create their own.

VA - VIEW ACTIVATE
VD - VIEW DEACTIVATE
FF - FILLED REGION

MikeJarosz
2013-06-28, 04:34 PM

Let's think OOTB here, like UNIX! That's about as OOTB has you can get in the Revit/Autodesk world. In UNIX all personalizations were kept in a file that was loaded when you logged in, no matter where. I could walk up to any machine and it looked like mine. Always.

Another thing I liked in UNIX was how it handled multiple windows. When I switched windows, the focus followed, without clicking first. I could work in any window that the cursor was in immediately. In this era when everyone has two screens, that would be a huge timesaver. Right now I'm doing a stair, with the plan in one window and the section in another. I wish I had the rapid back-and-forth I had in UNIX. This is all a result of the poor handling of multiple screens and windows in Revit. It's time for the factory to address this issue.

sixingno1391313
2013-07-11, 12:07 AM
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions guys! I asked because I want to use shortcuts for everything, and I am thinking about setting all of them to 3 letters, and I'm having trouble inventing a easy way to remember them. What I've been doing now is using shift+ABCD... for short cuts, found that pretty easy to remember.

Ben1977
2013-10-15, 12:12 PM
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions guys! I asked because I want to use shortcuts for everything, and I am thinking about setting all of them to 3 letters, and I'm having trouble inventing a easy way to remember them. What I've been doing now is using shift+ABCD... for short cuts, found that pretty easy to remember.

i started off with very few key commands, i then created some 2 key ones, some replaceing the originals, i also have 3 key commands, try to keep them very simialar, like 'MMM' for measure element!

my 2012 match my 2013, soon 2014!;)

i wouldnt mind a copy of the originals as i cant seem to locate the file or know how to reset it?

Some of my 2012 now require me toi hit enter on a few, which is annoying!

patricks
2013-10-15, 02:36 PM
I tend to change a number of the OOTB commands, mainly MM from Mirror Pick Axis to Move. I use MM for move, and MR for Mirror Pick Axis. MD is Mirror Draw Axis.

Also I use VD for both activate or deactivate views. Very fast time saver. I also am of the camp of using the same letter twice, or two adjacent keyboard letters for fast shortcut use. I also try to make them easy to use with my left hand. So if the shortcut is 2 adjacent letters, I try to set them so that my left index and middle fingers can hit them easily in quick succession.

DD - Dimension Aligned
DE - Detail line
CS - Create Similar
MN - Measure
BF - Bring To Front
FB - Send To Back
TR - Trim
TT - Text

So on and so forth. Have seen a few good ones in here that I haven't tried but may try myself.

Ben1977
2013-10-16, 07:23 AM
Heres my current list....its long!

same as above, try to keep keys close to each other

Any one know why i need to press enter in 2012 for some commands??

CH - CLOSE HIDDEN WINDOWS
MMM - MEASURE ELEMENT
VS - DRAW SECTION
DD - INSERT ARCH DOOR
WW - INSERT ARCH WINDOW
HI - ISOLATE ELEMENT
HR - RESET TEMP ISOLATE
PP - PHASES
LC - LINK CAD FILE
LR - LINK REVIT FILE
ML / MLL - MANAGE LINKS
FF - FILLED REGION
MR - MASKED REGION
SSS - SNAP PERPENDICULAR
FI - FILTER
RRR - REV CLOUD
PH - PICK NEW HOST
HHC - HIDE / SHOW CROP
DCC - DETAIL CALL OUT
DC - DETAIL COMPONENT
VA - ACTIVATE VIEW
VD - DE-ACTIVATE VIEW
SH - SHAFT
HHV - HIDE / ISOLATE VIEW
ICC - IMPORT CAD
EH - HIDE ELEMENTS IN VIEW
EU - UNHIDE ELEMENTS
HC - HIDE CATEGORY
SSA - SYNC AND MODIFY SETTINGS
SSD - SYNC NOW
JJ - JOIN GEOMETRY
UJ - UNJOIN GEOMETRY
TTR - TRIM / EXTEND SINGLE ELEMENT
TRT - TRIM / EXTEND MULTIPLE ELEMENT
SFS - STRUCTURAL FLAT SLAB (FOUNDATION)
SSE - STRUCTURAL SLAB EDGE
MSS - MANAGE SAVE SELECTION SETS
MLS - MANAGE LOAD SELECTION SETS
MSE - MANAGE EDIT SELECTION SETS
QE - QUERY REFERENCE
EB - EDIT BOUNDARY
SV - SELECT ALL INSTANCES IN VIEW
DG - PLACE DETAIL GROUP
LLL - LINE WORK

gary.63284
2013-10-16, 02:17 PM
Maybe I'm missing something but why the double and triple letter shortcuts? Ive been using M for move and C for copy without any problems.

Ben1977
2013-10-17, 06:51 AM
Maybe I'm missing something but why the double and triple letter shortcuts? Ive been using M for move and C for copy without any problems.

mmmm maybe i should have tried that!, i tried to not overwrite the originals, ....i'll try single letters :)

irneb
2013-10-17, 10:55 AM
I tend to change a number of the OOTB commands, mainly MM from Mirror Pick Axis to Move. I use MM for move, and MR for Mirror Pick Axis. MD is Mirror Draw Axis.Similar here - though my keys are slightly closer together: MM for move, MI for mirror draw (same as the ACad shortcut), ML for mirror on axis (I see it as Mirror Line).

Maybe I'm missing something but why the double and triple letter shortcuts? Ive been using M for move and C for copy without any problems.No real big reason, it's just that sometimes Revit goes a bit wonky if your shortcuts have overlaps. It's not like acad shortcuts where you need to press Enter/Space after the shortcut, RVT goes immediately with the command once you've pressed the keys. So if you have (e.g.) MM as normal for mirror on axis, but you've added M for move ... depending on how quickly you type MM it might go and do the move command where you actually wanted the mirror.

But as someone's stated, these are highly personal. And that also means it depends on your style of key pressing and other settings in both Rvt and Windows.

irneb
2013-10-17, 11:03 AM
Also changed from standard:

JJ - Join Geometry
UJ - Un-Join Geometry
TE - Trim Extend Single Element
TW - Trim Extend Multiple Elements
Ctrl+Shift+S - Synchronize with central: Synchronize Now
Ctrl+Alt+S - Synchronize with central: Synchronize and Modify Settings

Joshua Kohl
2013-10-17, 11:29 AM
I only use a few custom keyboard commands, and I get a few looks from the older staff when they ask me what my custom commands are. But they still want me to help them create their own.

VA - VIEW ACTIVATE
VD - VIEW DEACTIVATE
FF - FILLED REGION

You could use just one shortcut for both activate and deactivate view beacause it's like an on/off or toggle switch, it can only be one or the other.