PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Errors 'Linked File Cannot be Saved' and 'Location Position Changed' in a large federated model. Why?

Duncan Lithgow
2013-06-20, 10:44 AM
I'm working in a big federated file with about 60 linked files, mostly each in their own workset.

What I don't understand is why every time I synchronise I get the two errors below. I *know* that I haven't intentionally even touched the buildings, let along move them. The whole purpose of this file is to generate a plan of the whole hospital campus.

The error I get most is this one:

---
Linked File Cannot be Saved
You cannot save the linked file Bygning_R_Central.rvt because it has changed in more than just shared coordinates, which can invalidate local files owned by you.
---

and on some of the buildings I get this one:

---
Location Position Changed
You have changed the "current" Position in Forum.rvt. What do you want to do?
-> Save
Saves the new position back to the linked file.
-> Do not save
Returns to the previously saved position when the file is reopened.
-> Disable shared positioning
Retains the current placement of the link and clears the Shared Position parameter.
---

For this second error I have often clicked on both 'Do not save' and 'Disable shared positioning', but I get the same errors again next time i sych.

Anyone understand what is going on?

Duncan Lithgow
2013-06-24, 05:04 PM
I should add that the second error comes back again later during the same synchronization - something I find very odd indeed.

ballj
2014-02-04, 02:36 PM
Hey, I know it's been a while since you posted this but I just came across the same problem this morning and am at a loss as to why this error (the second one in your post "you have changed the position....". Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Duncan Lithgow
2014-02-04, 08:17 PM
I've never really found out what's going on. The problem has become less common after I've focused on getting people to pin linked files, so they can't accidentally nudge them. So I suspect it has something to do with that.

Steve_Stafford
2014-02-04, 08:51 PM
What version of Revit is this project in? The issue was supposedly fixed in recent versions of Revit. See the attached image...

Duncan Lithgow
2014-02-04, 09:16 PM
Hi Steve

The error you mention there we have as well. I'll try out the solution. But do you mean that the Linked, linked DWG problem has been the cause of these errors I mention here? I'm not sure I've had them since we upgraded to 2014. But the linked, linked DWG issue we've been seeing a bit - if it's the same problem. Can you give me some links to more on the linked dwg issue?

Steve_Stafford
2014-02-04, 09:24 PM
I wrote this Blog Post (http://revitoped.blogspot.com/2008/09/save-and-save-to-central-error-message.html) about it (2008 September), Dwayne Lindsey (http://revit-archcenter.blogspot.com/2008/06/linked-file-cannot-be-saved-error.html) did too. The image I attached is from a shared coordinates class I did at AU in 2009.

Duncan Lithgow
2014-02-05, 08:46 PM
Thanks so much Steve. Problems like this are hard to pin down.

We've definitely seen this, a lot, in Revit 2012. Now we're on 2014.

Now we're seeing situations where changes to a DWG linked into one of the linked files kills the current file. That has driven us to despair and adsk hasn't had any solutions.

ballj
2014-04-28, 07:43 PM
Hey Guys, sorry for being MIA on this topic. We too are in Revit 2014, but most recently saw the error in Revit 2013. Honestly, the last time we received the error was back in February, and so I hadn't taken the time out to look deeper into the issue until today. Thanks for the information both of you provided on the topic. Very useful.