PDA

View Full Version : Convert DWG to Model

Doug
2005-02-18, 11:01 PM
Is there an easier way to copy a dwg drawing to a Revit Model, other than drawing the lines or using the pick line tool?

Doug

Scott D Davis
2005-02-18, 11:03 PM
import>explode?

You want the DWG line work into Revit, as Revit lines?

beegee
2005-02-18, 11:27 PM
This handy tip from Irwin may help:-

Rather than tracing, you can pick the lines and create walls using them. (This is new in 7.0). In the wall tool option bar, press the arrow icon (Pick Lines). Now, each time you pick a line in the imported dwg it will create a wall using the current wall type. You create walls for an entire chain of lines at once using the Tab key. You can control whether the line becomes the wall centerline or one of the faces using the Loc Line setting in the option bar.

Doug
2005-02-19, 05:49 PM
Import Explode might have worked if I had gotten a "clean" dwg file form the supplier. I Think am getting carried away... because I can does not mean I should.

Thanks

Doug

studioCJF
2005-02-19, 06:35 PM
... because I can does not mean I should...

Irwin's tip sounds great!

I have not needed to use it yet, but in the past I have found that exploding a DWG in Revit can leave a lot of line type/styles garbage behind that can not be purged or deleted easily. I have one project that refuses to delete imported line styles even after I have converted all lines and deleted unwanted line styles. The line styles remain deleted until I reopen the file... then all lines styles that were once DWG lines reappear while other styles that were Revit only never reappear. I have tried various things such as renaming the styles but they just reappear. I posted this awhile back with little response. I assume their is a buried link somewhere that I can't isolate.

Clark