PDA

View Full Version : 2013 SketchUp directly to Revit

justin.elgo372615
2013-06-27, 07:59 AM
Hello! I'm sure it has been asked before, however I couldn't find any threads dealing with my exact problem, so here we go:

I am using Revit Architecture 2013 and the free SketchUp, version 8. I previously have had no problem importing sketchUp models directly into Revit using the following method:

From my main model, I open a new family file. I have used the Furniture template, working maily with importing furniture from SketchUp. In the family file I go to "Insert", "Import CAD", choose the .skp file type, find the .skp file I want, hit "open".

I don't remember what import settings I used when it was working, but now this process is not working. I get a dialog box saying "Cannot open such and such .skp file". The import settings I have used most recently have been as follows: Colors: Preserve Layers/Levels: All Import units: Auto-Detect Positioning: Auto - Center to Center Place at: Ref. Level Orient to view box is checked.

Anyone experience this before? Do you have any ideas on why this was working and isn't now? Thank you.

bbeck
2013-06-27, 10:39 PM
Save down to SKP 6 if I recall correctly. Maybe it was 4.......it's been a long time since I've done this.

justin.elgo372615
2013-07-04, 09:20 AM
Thanks. I did try this with the same, unsuccessful result. Still haven't found a solution. Very strange that it would be working, as it should- as all the tutorials out there say it should work- and then Revit all of the sudden is not be able to open sketchup files...?? If anyone else has some insight on this, it would be much appreciated.

( I know many out there ask, "why are you even using sketchup?" Well, in short it saves a lot of time. We have a furniture manufacturer that has built all of their products in sketchup. They can be easily customized to our project in Sketchup and then imported. They don't need to be smart objects in anyway. They are just contextual to the architecture, which has been built in Revit. I don't know Revit very well yet, but it would take much too long to build up the same kind of objects in Revit. Sketchup has its benefits, like it or not.