PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Multiple instances of Revit are opening

CBroda
2013-07-09, 01:50 PM
Good morning all -

Since I installed Revit 2014 I have been having trouble with opening files from Windows Explorer.

I like to use Explorer to find families. My preferred work method is to drag and drop into a file if I want to place an instance,or to double-click and open the file if I want to edit it, or look at it first. Then if I want to se it in my project I just click "Load into project".

Now, every file in Explorer that I double-click will open a new instance of Revit. If I drag and drop them them place an instance in the current open project.

Haven't been able to find a cure. This wasn't happening before with 2013.

I'm on Windows 7. 64-bit. Can't find a way of doing this in Windows - they have made many of the controls we used to be able to do impossible to find.

Do I need to edit the registry? Any cure?

Thanks,
Chris

jsteinhauer
2013-07-09, 01:56 PM
Chris,

You might want to check your options in Revit. There may be a setting for # of open projects. I just checked 2013 and there is not a setting for this, but they could have added it in 2014.

Cheers,
Jeff S.

CBroda
2013-07-09, 07:24 PM
Not seeing anything like that. They give us very few options in the Options dialog box. I think it's a setting in Windows because there is a similar issue with MS Office - and they don't make it possible anymore to NOT open files in multiple instances.
The problem with this is you can't load into a project unless the project is open in the same windows session. Hmmm...

BTW Jeff - your dog looks an awful lot like mine. Toy Manchester Terrier - what's yours?

Chris

renogreen
2013-07-09, 10:07 PM
I have been telling people NOT to use Windows Explorer to open Revit files for several years.

dhurtubise
2013-07-10, 09:45 AM
Couldn't agree more with renogreen. Not the end of the world if you only have 1 version but wait 'till you get more then 1 and open a file in an newer version then save... and screw it up :)
Good habits save the world :)

CBroda
2013-07-10, 12:22 PM
I'm a single practitioner with one Revit license and one computer and one architect/drafter/janitor - me! So for me, the productivity gains are significant if I can use Explorer. I get to search for files, clean up old versions, manage other items I have in the folder, etc. and then, while in Explorer, open a file. It may not be the end of the world but it means I have to do my thing in Explorer, then go back to Revit and go through the Open process - a loss of productivity in my case - a big one. And then even more loss in the many times I forgot and have to close the new session of Revit and go back to the Open command.

Revit should make it an option which can be locked by an administrator for those with version control issues and let those of us without that issue to work in the way that's best for us.

Revit - it's not just for the big firms anymore (nor ever was). There are a lot of us small firms out there and Revit is critical in helping us be profitable. But that means it needs to be flexible to accommodate all kinds of productivity needs.

I teach other (small firm / single practitioner) architects how to use Revit and they are not so computer savvy. I stress good habits with them too but everyone has their general computer habits. it's hard to break them. And for a one-license shop, it's best to be flexible and let everyone choose their own style.

That said, I used to manage CAD operations for a large firm and I know what you mean. For those applications, brutal, dictatorial rule is essential. ;-)

Chris