PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Rename Levels

rdooley944157
2013-07-16, 06:35 PM
I am working on a high-rise and we are deleting a low level and thus have to rename all subsequent levels; is there a quick automated way of doing this besides individually renaming each level? Many Thanks.

Dimitri Harvalias
2013-07-16, 08:01 PM
Depending on how much modeling you've done you can just delete the offending level, slide all the others down and then add the other one on top. Probably not the best approach if things have progressed beyond really basic.
I believe you'll need to rename manually. that said, be sure to schedule your levels (if you are using 2014) and do all that editing in a schedule view rather than using the project browser.

MikeJarosz
2013-07-16, 10:07 PM
Be careful with levels. Name them consistently: don't have a "level 3" then a "third floor" for the same floor level. Remember, things can attach to Revit levels. Once that happens you will never get rid of an unwanted level. Do not use levels as substitutes for spot elevations. "Top of Chimney" should never be a level. Someone will attach a toilet to it and you will go crazy fixing it. Every time you cut a section you will have all your levels showing. Overdo the levels and every section with start with a cleanup.

Devin_82
2013-07-17, 12:07 AM
Also, it is really important to follow through with the renaming in all your views. You will likely get a message asking you if you want to rename views based on the level. Go ahead and do that, but be aware that it will only update those levels that are still named by default, maybe if they are close enough. But if you have renamed a view to something like "Leasing Area Level 3 Furniture Plan" and it was based on Level 3, it will likely not know that you want to rename that view to "... Level 4..." in the middle.

Also, as far as ease of renameing, you could try a plug in like BIMLink and use the power of excel to quickly automate it for you with a search and replace function or something like that. But of course that is assuming that you have the plug in.

dhurtubise
2013-07-17, 08:04 AM
BIMLink is a lot of money for such a trivial task. :)
Autodesk has a free tool to renumber rooms that i modified to also do levels.

Devin_82
2013-07-17, 05:58 PM
Yes, its definitely expensive for this particular case, but there are more uses for it as well. There are also cheaper options that do the same thing, just can't remember the names right now.

How did you modify the renumber rooms tool?

dhurtubise
2013-07-18, 07:56 AM
It's one of those tools that you get the source code with.

TTSchiller
2013-08-19, 08:36 PM
BIMLink is a lot of money for such a trivial task. :)
Autodesk has a free tool to renumber rooms that i modified to also do levels.

Would you be willing to share this?

BlackBox
2013-08-19, 09:23 PM
Would you be willing to share this?

More importantly, does Autodesk's copyright header included with that source-code explicitly allow one to distribute?

Cheers

damon.sidel
2013-08-20, 12:55 PM
On a related note, I am working on a project with a a few levels that are close to each other. We had a conversation on our team about including or excluding certain levels. For example, Level B3 is the hotel lower lobby and is at +106.00m ASL. There is also a parking level at +106.25m ASL. The parking will connect to the hotel lower lobby level (with some ramps and stairs), but is set based on the residential towers above. Do we make a level for each or deal with lots of offsets? For the overall building plans, we want only one plan view on a sheet for these with some spot elevations.

What are your thoughts?