PDA

View Full Version : Help! Crashed File

studioCJF
2005-02-21, 05:24 PM
Can this file be recovered? I really hope so I have a deadline tomorrow and need to print today!

I e-mailed the following R6.1 file to Revit Support earlier today and followed up with a phone call... BUT Revit Support is closed today because of the Presidents Day Holiday.

I was working on a door schedule and got the following message...

"A fatal error has occurred. The application will be terminated. You will be given the opportunity to save recovery files for all of your changed projects. Would you like to save a recovery file for...?"

However, before I could answer the dialog box, the program shut down. I have not been able to find the recovery file. Where would it be located? what would it be called? I have searched my hard drives for anything resembling the file name and/or time stamp... but cannot seem to find anything other than the journal file (attached) that was generated during the crashed session.

Thanks in advance.

Clark

EDIT: I have had Support fix a file once before by sending them the journal file... Does anybody here know how to debug a file?

Scott D Davis
2005-02-21, 05:46 PM
Do you have your last backup file? PROJECT.0001.RVT ?? you should be able to open one of the back ups, although with some lost work from your last save. A recovery file will be the file name like PROJECT(RECOVERY).RVT

studioCJF
2005-02-21, 05:56 PM
Scott

Thanks... I have opened all the *.0001.rvt backup files and their is alot missing. (I promise to never ignore the auto-save pop-up again:banghead: ) I also did a hard drive search for *recovery*.* with no luck

anybody else... before I start over?

Clark

dg
2005-02-21, 10:01 PM
Why can't Revit autosave at user defined periods and save an automatic temp file - just like AutoCad can?

Scott D Davis
2005-02-21, 10:23 PM
it could, but I don't think you would want to be in a 100mb file, and have Revit saving every 15 minutes.

aaronrumple
2005-02-21, 10:24 PM
It does.
They are called journal files and run continuously. I've used them more than once to recover information. They factory can also.

In addition there is the autosave reminder. Make it a habit to say yes.

studioCJF
2005-02-21, 11:41 PM
Aaron

I have been trying to use the Journal.txt file I attached but it runs to a point (very early in the process) and I get the following Journal Error:

"The journal file could not be run to completion. Utilize care in saving any work as the project may be in an unstable state" with the selection box "Enter interactive mode"

I have looked at the journal.txt file but can't seam to find the exact point at which it stops...

Any Ideas?

aaronrumple
2005-02-21, 11:44 PM
You may need to send the journal file and the bad file to support. revitsupport@autodesk.com

studioCJF
2005-02-21, 11:48 PM
I did... they are closed for Presidents Day.