PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Revit uses all my memory; need to restart constantly

dannycerezo
2013-07-17, 09:10 PM
I have Revit 2014 on two computers:

- Quad Core i7, 32GB Ram, Win7 Ultimate 64Bit, 1GB video
- Core 2 Duo, 8GB Ram, Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit, 512 MB Video Card

I have run revit on one of these two machines for years, (except for the i7, which I got last year). I have used Revit 2012 & 2013 and have never had any problems. Recently, I upgraded to 2014 and when I use it I get memory issues every time. I always end up getting a message that I've used all my memory. Inevitably, I have to quit Revit and re-start. At that point Task Manager shows my memory dropping back down to 1GB or so. Then, minute by minute, as I use Revit, the memory use goes up and up and never comes back down.

I have updated Windows. I have updated my drivers. I have my pagefile settings correct, I believe. I quit all other programs and processes. I shut off anti-virus software. IN SHORT, NOTHING IS RUNNING BESIDES REVIT AND BACKGROUND PROCESSES!!

And still, I get these memory issues. On both machines. I've tried different files too and they all don't work.

My next step is to re-install 2013 and see if this continues to happen. Does anyone else have this issue? If so, how did you solve it?

bbeck
2013-07-17, 09:29 PM
Years ago in the ancient days of Revit there used to be a memory leak. I hope that hasn't resurfaced.

dannycerezo
2013-07-17, 09:31 PM
I hope not too. Installing 2013 as I type this. If it doesn't happen there, then I'm at a loss.

dannycerezo
2013-07-17, 10:09 PM
Well, I just tried something real interesting. I downloaded a trial of Revit....NOT Revit Architecture, which is my version of Revit. Guess what....no memory issue!!!

So, either Revit Architecture has a bug? Or the file I downloaded was messed up somehow? OR the install of Revit Architecture, somehow went wrong. Stay tuned!

dhurtubise
2013-07-18, 07:53 AM
We're missing the most important part of imformation, the model size :)
And is there any link and their size?

MikeJarosz
2013-07-18, 12:55 PM
I had problems using Revit with Win 7 Ultimate. My IT guy replaced it with Win 7 Professional and problem solved...

dhurtubise
2013-07-18, 01:01 PM
FYI i've always been running Ultimate without any issue.
Keep in mind that Revit needs 20 times the model size in RAM, and if you have a few session open and a fairly large project it could be a problem.
I would also run some memory test.
One last thing, i set my page file to a specific size and don't let Windows manage it. This prevent disk swapping. I still do it even though im running only SSD drives.

dannycerezo
2013-07-18, 02:15 PM
For me the file size is irrelevant. I can open up a new file, no other projects or families open. I can start working with it....wall here, window there. Maybe add a floor and a stair. Throw a dimension up or something. Within 30 - 40 minutes, all my memory is used up.

I repeat, this NEVER happened before with previous versions of Revit Architecture on the exact same machines with the exact same configuration....I haven't changed anything. I honestly think its a bug in RA2014.

duelllleud403318
2013-07-23, 11:45 AM
Would it be possible to attach the Revit journal file from a session where the memory continuously rises? I would like to review the journal to see if there is anything corresponding to the increased memory usage.

If you need the journal location: http://usa.autodesk.com/getdoc/id=TS1067426

Thanks!

dannycerezo
2013-07-23, 03:19 PM
Ok. I'll post it later today.

dannycerezo
2013-07-24, 10:17 PM
Where are the journal files in Revit Architecture 2014?

anna.oscarson
2013-07-25, 05:59 AM
If you installed Revit Architecture locally on your system, the journals should be located in this location: C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\Autodesk\Revit\Autodesk Revit Architecture 2014\Journals

bwill71
2013-09-05, 09:20 PM
I googled my Revit 2013 memory problem and found this.

My problem is similar, file size is irrelevant for me too, I open my main project and the ram usage starts around 6gigs. I open another project to grab detail views to load into the new project and ram usage goes to 9gigs. When I close the old project after grabbing the details the ram usage remains at 9gigs even when I close all views down to a single view. There is no memory dump until I take the time to restart Revit. If I continue working without restarting eventually it will hang on opening another view and "Not responding" occurs forcing me to Alt+ctl+delete out and I loose work!

radmaecon
2014-07-22, 02:22 AM
Is this a RAM problem? i have encountered (similar problem) before. Ram consumption goes up as you go on working. We checked the Hardware acceleration in options. Have you tried this?

meng005
2014-07-22, 03:05 PM
I have updated Windows. I have updated my drivers. I have my pagefile settings correct, I believe. I quit all other programs and processes. I shut off anti-virus software. IN SHORT, NOTHING IS RUNNING BESIDES REVIT AND BACKGROUND PROCESSES!!

And still, I get these memory issues. On both machines. I've tried different files too and they all don't work....

How much free disk space do you have? I would recommend at least 25 gb of free disk space. If you need to clear out disk space, check the folders: downloads, %temp%, c:\autodesk\. You may also want to search for the following extensions: *.????.rvt, *.????.rfa, *.bak, *.tmp, *.dmp.

We have found 10 gb of free disk space is inadequate for medium-large project files.