PDA

View Full Version : Here we go with stairs again!!!

studioCJF
2003-11-08, 09:11 PM
I know most of you will ask yourselves... "why did he do that" but here goes...

In a fit of frustration :banghead: I decided it would be easier to delete the hand rail from a stair and redraw it later (the operative word is later that means undo is out of the question) than try to "edit sketch". well I guess I was wrong :oops: Now I have a new problem I can't get the inside handrail on a typical switchback stair to attach to the stair using the "set host" command :? The outside rail attaches to host stair no problem but the inside rail remains flat and attached to the floor and not the stair stringer.

DO I have to delete the stair and redraw that too... please tell me NO :banghead:

Clark

Please hurry with Revit 6 and the rebuilt stair tool I don't think I can handle much more of this... BTW does anybody know what family that wall is that I keep Banging my head on :lol: I love emoticons...

beegee
2003-11-08, 11:05 PM
Unless the stair is very complicated, I would just redraw it.
Alternatively, it may be possible to copy the sketch of the outside railing, move it to the inside and edit it to fit.

Steve_Stafford
2003-11-09, 01:15 AM
It is important to realize that your railing properties affect whether your railing will follow the stair stringer. An offset value that puts the railing outside of the stair will "drop" it to the floor literally.

What I'd do to get your railing back is:

Switch to a 3d view of your stair. (3d view because it's "easier" to see what you are picking, naturally you'll need to use Hide/Isolate or vis/gra settings to get a view of the stair clearly)

Start railing command, SET HOST to the stair object, then choose LINES then use the PICK option, now pick the top inner edge of a stringer (just one for now) and finish your railing sketch. Does the railing follow the stair now?

If it does then you only need to examine the railing properties to see if it is positioned as desired. Adjust them accordingly, keeping the warning at the top in mind.

If it doesn't try the outer side of the stringer using the PICK option again and/or try changing the offset values for your railing balusters and railing profile.

Using the stock template and stair/railing settings the inside face of the stringer worked while the outside face did not. This will take a little experimentation to see what I'm trying to describe.

After success, following the same approach you can go back an add the remaining railing pieces to your sketch making sure to keep the sketch string continuous.

HTH

studioCJF
2003-11-09, 06:23 PM
Steve
I thought of the offset thing and tried anything I could think of but for some reason it would not attach to the stair. When I had the offset set correctly it would just slice straight through the stringer :? Anyway as beegee suggested I just redrew the stair. The good news is that I learned a thing or two about manipulating the stair parameters. I guess there is nothing better than practice, practice, practice.

Clark