PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Creating extrusions from text outlined in Illustrator

drubinoff
2013-07-26, 06:03 PM
Hi,

When I model a belt sign on the front of a commercial building, I take the EPS logo from the graphic designer, I export it from Adobe Illustrator as a DWG, and I import it into a Revit family. I scale the sign up using the "edit type" under properties, editing the scale factor by trial and error (why the scale tool can't do this makes no sense to me). I then attempt to model 1/2" acrylic letters by placing a reference plane at the back of the text and using it as the plane for an extrusion. In sketch mode, I try to select the text outline using the pick lines tool. The tool will pick most straight lines, but as in the curves of outline text come in as splines, the tool won't select the splines.

Game over. Fail. Can't complete the letter in sketch mode and thus can't model the outline text brought in as a DWG.

Could the Revit folks please allow this tool to pick splines so I can complete such extrusions?

Thanks,
Derek

Dimitri Harvalias
2013-07-26, 06:30 PM
If you import the dwg and explode it you should be able to select all the lines.
I would strongly suggest that you do this inside the family editor and create your sign as a family. You can then delete the original CAD geometry and bring the family in as a stand alone element without all the CAd baggage.

drubinoff
2013-07-26, 06:38 PM
Thanks Dimitri. However, when I try to explode the DWG, I receive an error: "Cannot Explode Imported Object: Cannot explode the imported object in this view. To explode it, create a work plane in this view for the resulting elements."

I'm not sure how to create a work plan in my view for the resulting elements. Guidance? Thanks.

damon.sidel
2013-07-26, 07:45 PM
Alternately, I know there are some Autolisp scripts out there that will convert splines to either segmented polylines or tangent arc approximations. Then when you import them to Revit, you'd be able to pick those lines.

Dimitri Harvalias
2013-07-26, 08:30 PM
Thanks Dimitri. However, when I try to explode the DWG, I receive an error: "Cannot Explode Imported Object: Cannot explode the imported object in this view. To explode it, create a work plane in this view for the resulting elements."

I'm not sure how to create a work plan in my view for the resulting elements. Guidance? Thanks.

Are you trying to create the signage as an in-place family? Can you post the DWG file?