PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Sloped Glazed roof by Face (mass) - other side

libre
2013-07-29, 11:02 AM
Hi,

I am creating a skylight, with 2 falls, curtain wall applied on a face of the mass.

The problem is that The curtain wall system is reading the "normal" to the mass on two different sides

Can I change the "normal" of the mass?
Can I flip the curtain wall to the other side?

How can I solve it?

Thanks

damon.sidel
2013-07-31, 12:28 PM
In my experience, Revit doesn't give you direct access to change the normal of the surface. I remember a post at one point that suggested that applying a material with a fill pattern "resets" the normals, but I've never tried it. Was the mass created in Revit or imported from another program? If from another program, I'd adjust it there. (Rhino, for instance, gives you direct access to the surface normals. We frequently import Rhino masses and are constantly checking the surface normals before we import it.)

If it was created in Revit and the material trick doesn't work, I think the only way to fix it is rebuild the mass. In that case, I don't actually know how to predetermine the surface normals, but as long as you create simple solids, I think Revit usually does what is expected.

dhurtubise
2013-07-31, 12:39 PM
you can add flip control in the family

libre
2013-07-31, 01:14 PM
Thanks fo rthe replies,
how can I add the flip control to the family "slope glazing on the mass face"?

dhurtubise
2013-07-31, 03:50 PM
You add it to the panel family

damon.sidel
2013-07-31, 06:19 PM
If you are flipping the panels, you'll have to have separate mullions with different offsets and two types of curtain wall systems. We've had this problem with imported mass families. For us it was much better to fix the normals of the mass in one way or another than it was to create a workaround with multiple types of panels, mullions, and curtain wall systems.

Out of curiosity, by a "skylight with 2 falls" do you mean two sloping faces? If there are no curves involved, you could use a glazed roof with slopes and avoid the mass altogether.

libre
2013-07-31, 08:53 PM
Unfortunatelly the faces are sloped in 2 directions, but they are also curved...

How did you change the normals? just trying to redraw the base lines of the mass in different direction?
could you write the step?

THis would help.... I also tried to do different wall types with mullion types and different panel types but it is such a wast of time...

thanks a lot!

damon.sidel
2013-08-01, 12:54 PM
How did you change the normals? just trying to redraw the base lines of the mass in different direction?
could you write the step?

Did you try applying a material with a fill for the surface pattern? I'd try that first.

As for changing the normals, I've never done it in Revit. Here are some resources that may or may not help:
http://buildz.blogspot.com/2011/03/that-aint-normal-diagnosing-point.html
http://dorevit.blogspot.com/2011/09/tale-of-two-normals.html (This one hints at clockwise versus counterclockwise geometry creation changes the normals)

These are the best I could find. I think you are on the right track with redrawing the base lines of the mass in a different direction, but I think it is experimentation. My quick test: clockwise (in plan) = surfaces face inward, counterclockwise (in plan) = surfaces face outward, solids always face outward (drew a rectangle in plan bot-left to top-right, bot-right to top-left, top-left to bot-right, top-right to bot-left). If you figure out the system in any more detail, let me know!