PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Revit trees - How should RPC behave?

robinhill833400
2013-07-30, 10:37 AM
I am trying to prepare a feasibility for a large site with many trees, and I have a sloping topography.

Inserting a standard out of the box RPC -Decidous tree say Scarlet Oak,
its base sets correctly on the topography,
but in plan half the tree is cut by the topography, ie the topography rises above the outline of the tree canopy and obscures it.

If I use the offset Property and raise the tree so the plane of the canopy is above the topography at all points, the plan view 'appears' to display properly.
but in elevation the tree now floats above ground, and in 3d a crazy base shaped like a baseball field appears.

Also..the scale of the plan view is weird...using the example of a Scarlett Oak, the canopy in plan view has a spread of about 3.9m, whereas in elevation the spread is about 14.9m as it should be for a 12.5m tree.

Is this usual behaviour?
If it is I cant see much value in RPC trees other than for rendering, so it looks like I need to create my own tree families...

So,is there any way of making their base meet the ground to match the topography, and to set the outline of the trees spread at a suitable height above that level?
Any thoughts?