PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Create a view title with stretchable lines?

abbyp134028
2013-07-31, 08:04 PM
So I've created our office standard view title, and it worked fine until I had a really long title (see attachment). We want all of the text to be on one line, like the title on the right in the attachment. In AutoCad we used dynamic blocks, and would just manually grab the grips and stretch them to match the length of the text.

Has anyone found a way to do this in Revit, in a View Title Template? View title templates do not have reference planes, so how do I add grips? Is there a formula or parameter that will automatically stretch the lines as I type?

I've already seen the work arounds that use detail component templates. I need a way to do this in a view title template so my family will appear in the viewport-view title drop down list.

Thanks in advance.

Steve_Stafford
2013-07-31, 08:33 PM
They haven't given us the ability to stretch them "in-canvas". The most common solution is to create different Types that use different labels that are short, medium and long. Then you assigned the appropriate type to the viewport. Not difficult, just a little cumbersome.

abbyp134028
2013-08-01, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the response. I've seen a post about that, and I tried it. The problem is, we have so many different sheet names that have different lengths. We would have to create way too many types to fits our needs. Then at that point it kinda defeats the purpose of having a family.

I'm hoping there is a work around that has parameters so I wont have to make a ton of view title types.

damon.sidel
2013-08-01, 03:08 PM
Maybe I'm missing something really obvious, but if you always want it on one line, could the text box in the family be really long? Wouldn't that work for long and short titles?

dhurtubise
2013-08-01, 03:50 PM
Damon your right. If you really want everything on 1 line simply make that box VERRRY long and call it a day :)

abbyp134028
2013-08-01, 05:47 PM
Yes that would work, but I need the lines underneath to stretch as well.

Steve_Stafford
2013-08-01, 05:53 PM
One approach I used in the past was to not put any lines in the view title family at all. I only put the labels in it. Then on sheets I places annotation symbols that provided the formal "box" that the view title would "sit inside". I created them with types for 1,2,3,4 & 5 column widths so I could span one vertical column of a sheet through 5 but it could be based how ever many your sheets use. Then when I put a view on a sheet I just dragged the info only view titles into the corresponding "box". Finally, once one row and column is established any other views that occupy the same row/column, the view titles for those will align with the original making it very easy to organize them on the sheet.

dhurtubise
2013-08-02, 07:09 AM
Yes that would work, but I need the lines underneath to stretch as well.
The line you can stretch independently from the text. it defaults to the viewport width

abbyp134028
2013-08-06, 02:23 PM
We could do that, but our problem is that our office standard view title has two lines that need to be stretched (see picture in first post). We turned off the default extension line Revit provides since it is only one line.

Do you know of a way to re-create that extension line so I can put our two lines in there?

Steve_Stafford
2013-08-06, 04:43 PM
No, single line and it is hard wired by Revit's developers. The method I mentioned earlier is very easy and predictable and it looks good every time as long as you are careful to move the view title text into position inside the "box".