PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Links unloaded...or are they?

hworrell
2013-08-01, 08:45 PM
I am working on a project that has multiple Revit files linked into an overall Revit file - Each of the files is on its own workset.

When I go to "Manage Links" it indicates that all the links are loaded. When I go to my project browser it says otherwise.

All worksets are open.

Am I missing the obvious here? Any help would be appreciated.

-Heather-

Steve_Stafford
2013-08-01, 09:12 PM
You see the Blue Arrow when the link is loaded and the Red X when it is unloaded or not found. That's true until Worksets are used. If a link is assigned to a workset and that workset is closed the Red X will appear to indicate that the link is no longer "present or visible", not that it is unloaded but much the same in a way.

If you open the workset again the X doesn't go away immediately. It will if you do a Reload Latest (assuming there are changes to load), SwC or reload the link itself.

hworrell
2013-08-01, 10:02 PM
Thank you!

Apparently - there are two locations to remember to modify what workset a linked file is on...I didn't realize that part.

I was selecting the instance of the linked project file and saw that it was on the 'correct' workset.

Then I noticed that when I go to the project browser, right click on the linked file, and select Type Properties - there is another location to modify the workset. This is the one that was on the 'wrong' workset. I modified this and it seemed to correct the visibility issues we were having...

I'm assuming this is for when you have multiple instances of the project file...but I'm not sure that I fully understand the reasoning.

-Heather-

Steve_Stafford
2013-08-01, 10:12 PM
Yes, the Type Parameter: Workset is the "definition" or "presence" of a linked file being part of our project and it's the top level row for the link in Visibility/Graphics. The Instance parameter governs the actual link you have selected. It is the next level row under the top level link in Visibility/Graphics (click the + sign to expand the list). If you have only one linked file and just one instance placed somewhere this subtlety is irrelevant to you/us but the hierarchy still exists. If the linked file was copied to several locations then each copy could be assigned its own workset and V/G could be used to override the individuals differently. Unless you do work that could benefit from it, like large scale development work where typical units are peppered on a site, these capabilities just end up irrelevant unfortunately.