PDA

View Full Version : Help w/ Parapet at top of walls-new user

johnm.72642
2005-02-22, 03:58 PM
We design and build primarily pre-engineered steel buildings. What I am trying to do is figure out how to show an E.I.F.S. parapet around the top of the building. Commonly the eave height would be 14' and the top of the parapet would be 16'. I have been able to modify everthing else about my wall structure to appear as it needs to except for this. Can anyone tell me what I am missing? I have looked through help and the like, but maybe I am not looking in the right place or entering the wrong search parameters. I don't know, I am very new to this. I would really appreciate any help or pointers.

aaronrumple
2005-02-22, 04:07 PM
Look at the sample wall in the default template - "Basic Wall : Exterior - Brick and CMU on Metal Stud" It contains a sample of everything you'll need. You will need to preview the wall in section while editing the structure to see the correct tools. See the drop down at the bottom of the preview screen.

luigi
2005-02-22, 04:11 PM
EIFS Parapet like part of your wall? above your wall? Attached to your wall? You can use a Wall Hosted Sweep and/or modify the vertical property of a wall, or create a stacked wall....

If you can, attach a detail of a previous job you did so that someone can help you in which specific method would be better for you.

Peace,

stuntmonkee
2005-02-22, 04:11 PM
if I'm following you correctly, then there are a couple ways of doing this. You can go to the properties of the exterior walls and change the top constraint to +2', or you can create a parapet level and have the top constraint be attached to that.

I prefer setting the top constraint to a +2'-0" over your eave height, especially if there are varying height at the parapet, but I think thats a preference. . .i just don't like having a bunch of levels in my drawings.

johnm.72642
2005-02-22, 04:12 PM
Hi Aaron, yes, that is the wall I am starting with actually. I just cannot figure out how to get it to show a Crown Moulding style E.I.F.S. like I want it to. I'm still tinkering with it, so hopefully I'll get it figured out soon. I'm also having a problem with my walls on the side of the building. The height of the wall changes from 14' to 16' at the column support line and when I try to modify this using the sketch tools, I can't get rid of the intersecting lines errors. argh. Oh well, this is my third day with it and the first morning actually trying to work up a real world example of what we do, so i'm not going to complain. Thanks for your help.

johnm.72642
2005-02-22, 04:17 PM
Ok, I've gotten several good bits of advice in very short order! Thanks to all of you. I'm going to try my hand here at posting a file showing what I am trying to accomplish, and in the meantime, I will plow ahead on my own with the help I've gotten here. Thanks again.

luigi
2005-02-22, 04:23 PM
2 Things, you need to create a 2d profile using the template for a hosted profile. Then modify your wall and add a sweep profile to your wall (make sure to look at the section view of your edit wall component) and place the profile from the top of the wall....there are tutorials and/or do a trial and error to make the profile work for you. You can later adjust the distance the profile is in its horizontal/vertical position from the wall

Good luck,

luigi
2005-02-22, 04:28 PM
oh, by the way, if I mis-understood your dilemma, another thing to think about is that if a portion of the wall should end with the roof and some of it needs to be higher for the parapet, just make the wall go as high as the parapet needs to be and attach the wall to the roof, and if you have correct components to your wall and the roof sketch line is to the accurate point, some of your wall will attach to the roof, while the components that miss the roof will go to the specified height.

I hope it is clear....I would spend more time trying to send images, but I shouldn't because of time....:sad:

johnm.72642
2005-02-22, 04:28 PM
Thanks Luigi, makes sense to me. Now off to the help files to explore the profile creation some more!

johnm.72642
2005-02-22, 07:02 PM
2 Things, you need to create a 2d profile using the template for a hosted profile. Then modify your wall and add a sweep profile to your wall (make sure to look at the section view of your edit wall component) and place the profile from the top of the wall....there are tutorials and/or do a trial and error to make the profile work for you. You can later adjust the distance the profile is in its horizontal/vertical position from the wall

Good luck,
Luigi, Thanks, once I figured out the whole host family profile thing, it works great. got a bit of tweaking to do to make it look just right, but the hard part (for me) is figured out now. Thank you very much!