PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Glass inserts in Mass

ungersbocka372332
2013-08-13, 08:46 AM
Hi everyone,
I'm not very new to Revit but am new to Mass modeling (Usually work in families!)
I've managed to use logic to do what I need to do - but I'm stuck on allocating materials to my faces.
Using paint to apply "Glass" to a face isn't looking too hot - what's happening is I can see through the entire mass even through the inside face of the furthest wall (Which is meant to be solid)
I've tried painting the furthest wall but nothing changes.
I've tried creating a mass within the void and allocating a glass material to that mass - but I cant see through it at all (I don't see behind the glass)
Am I missing something??

Norton_cad
2013-08-13, 10:09 AM
Have a look at the material propeties for the mass. I bet it isn't the default glass one.

ungersbocka372332
2013-08-13, 10:14 AM
Thanx for your reply,

I'm assuming you're referring to placing a mass within the mass - I've tried 2 different versions of glass here (one being default) - Maybe I've still done it wrong?
Surely there is a standard way to place glass in a mass without any hiccups?

Norton_cad
2013-08-13, 10:41 AM
Yes mass of glass insert should have glass material attached. Look at the material propeties to verify it is transparent both in modeling and render.

damon.sidel
2013-08-13, 12:24 PM
Could you post a screen shot? I'm curious how you are trying to use the massing tools. Personally, when I build massing models, they are usually color-coded for program elements or some other organizational purpose, not a stand-in for construction.

Dimitri Harvalias
2013-08-13, 05:19 PM
I'm unclear as well. If you are creating your massing models as building forms and want to 'flesh them out' a bit you can always apply walls or curtain systems by face to your masses and then change materials as well. Once the walls are there you can add simple window families for openings.

ungersbocka372332
2013-08-15, 06:10 AM
Ok so I have found my problem for anyone reading this thread. What I was doing was actually allocating a material (By defining a material property) to the mass in the properties menu while in "edit-mass mode" - much like you would do in a family. I was also trying to use the paint-surface tool to apply glass.

What I didn't realise (Which is what all of you were trying to tell me) is that there as a little button that does it all for you
Massing & Site > Model by face > Curtain system.

Now I have another question - The curtain system is great, but what if I want to remove the mullions? I can go and edit the type properties of the system but the lines still remain?