PDA

View Full Version : How do you make a clip hip roof?

jvoight
2005-02-22, 04:37 PM
Hello, I am trying to make a garage with clip hips (<not sure about that name) on each end. Whats the best way of doing this? I am attaching a plan view of what the roof lines should look like.

I am sure there is a thread about this some where.. but a search returned nothing.

Thanks for your help.

This forumn has been the best resource for learning revit. Thank you again...

PeterJ
2005-02-22, 04:49 PM
There are two comon methods:

Construct a straight forward gable roof and then set a maximum height in it's properties. Construct a hip roof at the right heigth to suit your needs. Use the join geometry tool.

Construct a straight forward gable roof, set up ref planes parallel to the ridge at the point you want the hips to stem from. Return to editing the roof, use the split tool and split the gable wall lines on the ref planes then set the central section of these lines to define a slope and set an offset above the roof's base plane for these lines to start from.

Of the two the first is probably quicker and the second possible slightly more refined.

jvoight
2005-02-22, 05:40 PM
Thanks, I like the second method the best. jim

ejburrell67787
2005-02-23, 10:35 AM
Thats great - I had wondered how to make a roof like this too - in the end I modelled separate roofs a bit like Peter's first suggestion, but the second method is much better I think! (Just successfully experimented with one!) :grin:

Thanks Peter

roy.70844
2005-02-23, 04:24 PM
Method 2 is the way to go...But...

As the slope of the edges parallel to the ridge is fixed you can split your roof footprint pretty much anywhere along the gable end set the central portion to be slope defining and edit the properties of the central portion to set the plate offset from base. This will 'over-ride' the original split points and determine the size of the sloped portion. If you wish to specify the distance from the corner of the roof to the point where the slope begins then you need to calculate the plate offset value using trig. Don't panic, have a look at the attached image.

Roy.