PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Is it possible to export a schedule to excel?

Bluefairy
2013-08-14, 09:16 PM
These schedules do not seem to function like an excel sheet. Either that or I'm just not adept at using all it's functions. Do Revit schedules work as well as excel or do I need to manually transfer all data to excel. Is it actually possible to export it to excel?

Steve_Stafford
2013-08-15, 05:50 AM
They are not like Excel except that they are rows and columns. You can do a lot with schedules but it is necessary to learn how to use them. They are much more integrated and useful because the information in them is based on what you model.

It is more like learning to create queries and reports in Microsoft Access than Excel because they are dependent on the elements existing in the Revit database.

Search the AUGI Library for previous articles and class handouts about using schedules.

Revit will export a schedule to a .TXT file which can be imported into Excel. There are also separate programs (BIM Link and Revit to Excel Link) you can buy (some free) that automate exporting schedule data to Excel and even back to Revit, with limitations.

MikeJarosz
2013-08-19, 03:22 PM
Much has been written about Revit to Excel. You can do it, and it's not hard to do. BUT the overriding issue is that once you download your data to Excel, it's dead. I understand the temptation of using Excel to edit your schedules, but what good are those schedules if the data is outdated?

Though Revit schedules aren't as easy to work with as Excel, every time you open a schedule it will be up to date. Only after you make a few mistakes on your door schedule will you understand how important accuracy is in scheduling.

Mistakes on schedules = change orders = $$$$$