PDA

View Full Version : Soffits

formarch1831
2003-11-10, 06:32 PM
As a beginning Revit user, I'm wondering what is the best way to do soffits. I just finished a house plan and created the soffits by adding a 8' level and drew the vertical elements as a wall at the 0'-0" of the 8' level and added ceilings at the 8' level to form the bottom of the soffits. Although this seems to work fine, when the RCP was generated the lines of the vertical walls showed up and I had to hatch out the extra lines with a white pattern. In addition, the elevations show all the additional level lines. Is it better to draw soffits on the 0'-0" level and just elevate them offset them or is it better to create a new level in terms of level management and visual control. Whats the best way to create them so the RCP level doesn't show the extra lines generated by the vertical elements.

thanks,

gregcashen
2003-11-10, 09:08 PM
you know there is actually a soffit tool?

Steve_Stafford
2003-11-10, 09:18 PM
Use the soffit wall style, sketch them in a RCP view. Set the bottom offset value for the wall to the bottom of soffit elevation desired. Place ceilings within the boundaries of your walls. In section use JOIN GEOMETRY to get ceilings and soffit walls to cleanup with one another.

See attached image for an example done this way...

Assuming one of Revit's templates are used....the soffit wall style should be present.

Another approach:
Use only a ceiling object of the required depth of your soffit assembly, sketch this ceiling in an RCP view too along with any others. Then you can add detail components to the soffit in section and using JOIN GEOMETRY also, you can get walls and other ceilings to clean up with the ceiling...see the soffit2 image.