PDA

View Full Version : 2014 quality elevations

rdooley944157
2013-08-27, 03:53 AM
does anyone have a good method for creating quality elevations? When I make an elevation all surfaces show up with the same line weight weather or not one wall is 50' behind the other, so you do not get any sense of depth. I am creating an elevation of a building that has some step-backs and a courtyard but you cannot really tell from the elevation, you just read continuous mullions and glazing across the view. Is there a method for improving this? Any help/advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

davidcobi
2013-08-27, 05:19 AM
Add shadows to schematic elevations or a mass family "screen" with a material that has some degree of transparency.

damon.sidel
2013-08-27, 01:07 PM
Add shadows to schematic elevations or a mass family "screen" with a material that has some degree of transparency.

I have a variation on this that I think works well: I create a Design Option Set called "Ghost Walls" and the primary option has nothing in it. For each elevation or section that I want to have "layers" of depth, I create an option and draw a wall between my foreground and background. For the view in question, I make the appropriate option visible, activate it, select the wall and override graphics to "ghost" the wall. Deactivate the option and voila!

In addition, don't be shy with the Lineweight tool. Revit does most of the work of "drawing" the elevation, but that doesn't mean you can't still treat it like a drawing and manually adjust line weights.

cdatechguy
2013-08-27, 02:13 PM
I also utilize override by element to fade back certain walls... use the view properties to make everything the smallest lineweight possible then use the lineweight tool to darken only what I want to be thicker.

PijPiwo
2013-08-27, 02:17 PM
What I like to do is to create a copy of the elevation view in question and turn everything half tone. On the original view, crop the view depth so the only foreground objects are visible and put both views (original and half tone copy) on a sheet on top of each other.

MikeJarosz
2013-08-27, 02:49 PM
Great avatar, if you know any Polish, that is.

Regarding elevations, this topic has been dealt with many times in this forum. There are workarounds, then there are requests that AD deal directly with the issue and give us tools. My suggestion is that line weights scale in proportion to the distance away from the eye point. As objects get further away, their line weights reduce. That ought to be something easy for the factory to do.

rdooley944157
2013-08-27, 03:10 PM
Thanks all you've given me some good techniques to try.

I've been using the linework tool, but I do not like it because often it will reveal lines that should remain hidden or behind another element, such as a column the rises up behind a curtain wall panel - and it just takes a long time.

PijPiwo
2013-08-27, 05:46 PM
Great avatar, if you know any Polish, that is.
Thanks

That ought to be something easy for the factory to do.
Agree, but for the time being, the background elevation view could not only have half tone lines but overriding lineweights is easy and fast enough as well. I have a view template created, so applying that to the view is a walk in the park.