PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Revit Families

gsteffen642486
2013-09-09, 04:01 PM
I had downloaded some what I thought were family components of windows from a major manufacturer. They were not. They were project files with all of the head, jamb and sill details drawn in the project file. How do I take the details or for that matter the entire 'project' file and place it into my project file where I need the details? I'm not opposed from using the name brand windows in my project, I just used the generic store front windows that came with Revit.

Steve_Stafford
2013-09-09, 04:32 PM
Assuming they are drafting views... You can use Insert ribbon > Insert from File > Views

If the views are on sheets you can select a sheet and you'll get the sheet and the views assembled again in your own project. Just swap out the title block for yours.

gsteffen642486
2013-09-10, 01:27 PM
Yes they are drafting views. Also, how do I then get the drafting views into my window sill detail which has the wall underneath with the studs insulation etc.? Now that I have imported it, is it possible to use the actual windows in my project? If so how?

Steve_Stafford
2013-09-10, 02:22 PM
Drafting views are a 2D environment and isolated from the model. They are intended for commonly used details you can draw once, use and reference many times. You can create a callout or section detail and check "Reference other view" on the Options Bar. Revit will generate the annotation but instead of creating a new view it will just reference the one you pick from the pull down list that is activated. If the view is on a sheet the view annotation fills out automatically.

You can also just create a new building, wall or detail section or callout detail view. These are a hybrid where you can draft 2D information over a live section/callout of the 3D model. You use the tools available on the Annotate ribbon to add more information in the view.