PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Detach, Purge and Remove Links

Jrobker
2013-09-11, 05:11 PM
I have a request from an Architect to detach, purge and remove links from my model every time before I upload.
I used to clean up received models (MEP 2008-2010) thinking it would help with performance. It's been a years since I have done this and my model performance behaves no differently.
Is there any validity to his claims that this is beneficial on the Architectural side?
TIA

MikeJarosz
2013-09-11, 09:31 PM
I for one have a problem that engineers place outlets and other wall hosted equipment on the arch file, which for them is a link. When I download electrical and remove the outdated copy of my arch file, the equipment is "orphaned" Haven't found a solution to this yet.

Jrobker
2013-09-12, 09:55 PM
I for one have a problem that engineers place outlets and other wall hosted equipment on the arch file, which for them is a link. When I download electrical and remove the outdated copy of my arch file, the equipment is "orphaned" Haven't found a solution to this yet.

Implications such as those as well pose a problem.
It sounds like your opening the received files and reloading your model, as opposed to linking theirs into yours...

I do know that there is little to no difference with performance using a cleaned link verses just replacing and reloading.
Example:
I trimmed two pieces of pipe to place an elbow.
Attempt 1 took 13.65 seconds.
I undid it and did it again, it took 10.32 seconds.
I opened the Architectural model and Deleted all views, purged all unused and detached links. The model size went down from 266,920 kb to 182,156 kb.
I reloaded the link and did the same elbow test.
It took 12.02 seconds. So it took both longer and shorter time than using the bloated model. So to us it has NO relevance to use a "cleaned link".

rbcameron1
2013-10-02, 12:23 AM
The only advantage I can think of in terms of speed, would be the time it took to upload/download a 266Mb file vs. a 180Mb file when transferring files over the internet (Dropbox, Box, etc...) The computers we have at work start to crack at about 180Mb-190Mb so keeping the file size down matters to us. That being said, its mostly seconds per hour that you save.