PDA

View Full Version : 2013 WINDOW HEADERS

sjsl
2013-09-19, 06:39 PM
Trying to add a precast header to a window type. When I insert the window into a wall the window cuts but the header does not. Does anyone know how to do this?
Thanks.

PijPiwo
2013-09-20, 04:50 AM
In your window family:
1. Delete wall opening,
2. Create solid extrusion (in side or section view) in the shape and size of the window with header and full wall thickness,
3. Lock it to the ref planes. Make sure the extrusion flexes with the window size and wall thickness,
3. Turn solid extrusion into void and cut the wall.

davidcobi
2013-09-20, 08:10 PM
We had issues with Green Building studio analysis when we used voids rather than opening cuts (not sure if this is still an issue with energy analysis software).
If you nest a wall hosted family (with a void and header) into your window family you can avoid the error in Revit that "A family cannot have an opening and a cut in the same host"

Mike L Sealander
2013-09-22, 07:45 PM
Actually, there is a third way. Depends on what you are looking for. The Opening Cut in a window family is a special type of void extrusion, whose profile is editable in an elevation looking directly at the hosting wall. You can add a header to a window and have the header within the Opening Cut, it's just a matter of having the window geometry extend to within 8 inches of the top of the cut (for instance), and the header occupying the remaining 8 inches. So, along with the first two methods, there's this one. Take your pick, I guess.

davidcobi
2013-10-01, 01:45 PM
Families with opening cuts will also cut parallel furring walls that are joined with the primary host wall. A void will only cut the host wall.

PijPiwo
2013-10-01, 04:11 PM
Families with opening cuts will also cut parallel furring walls that are joined with the primary host wall. A void will only cut the host wall.
True, but the void thickness can be parametrically controlled and adjusted for this condition if necessary. However, I like your approach better :beer:

patricks
2013-10-03, 04:43 PM
Sounds to me like the OP's issue is the header geometry showing up in the plan view, above the cut plane. In the family simply select the header geometry, click Visibility and tick off the setting for Show In Plan/RCP.