PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Renovation/Addition Project: How Do You Like to Model the Existing?

jimmybpsu
2013-09-23, 01:13 PM
I will soon be starting a new project that includes a partial renovation and an addition, to an existing healthcare facility.
I am interested to hear user's preferences on managing the existing/demo portions of work ... model existing in a separate file and link it into the new-work project file? create all work (existing and new) in one project file? create all work in one project file but manage the portions via Model Groups or some other method?

I am concerned with the best functionality of the phasing, scheduling, work flow, etc but also with managing the existing portions of work (keeping other users from "accidentally" moving/altering portions of the existing building).

I am relatively new to my firm, at previous firms I had successfully used a LINK for the existing work, opening it up to make changes to the demolished portion and extent of demolition, with all of the new-work performed in a separate file. The BIM managers at my office have not done this before and are hesitant (worried about time to open & reopen separate files, but also with how this works when all you demo/replace are individual doors, e.g.)

I appreciate your input on experience or best practices (I will be using 2014 for this project, my first 2014 project ... which I assume doesn't have much influence on my decision unless there are new features I don't know about)

Mike L Sealander
2013-09-24, 10:58 AM
We are a small firm, and a typical project might be 30,000 square foot renovation and 5,000 square foot addition. We model existing and proposed in the same model. I think this makes sense for renovations. If I furr a wall with a door in it, I don't have to worry about the furred wall opening cut. It still makes some sense for additions, but perhaps less so. If you are interested in breaking the model, do the addition in a separate file, but do the renovation in the "existing" file. It comes down to preference.

jcoe
2013-09-24, 12:26 PM
Our office does K-12 schools where the majority of our work is renovation/small additions. We keep everything in one model. We have found this works best for coordination/phasing/scheduling. I can see where you might be tempted to use linking, but I don't feel as though this would be a clean workflow for a renovation project. You also want to think about what software your consultants are using. If they are using Revit, you are now sending them two separate files to do their work in. What does the manage link workflow look like when they send the files back?

jimmybpsu
2013-09-26, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the input.
Do you have any methods that you use to prevent users from inadvertently moving existing walls/doors/etc when you model both the existing and new in one project file?

I am thinking of things like worksets/model-groups/etc that can be controlled by one user OR at least make someone aware when they try to move an existing wall from a surveyed location.

jcoe
2013-09-26, 01:44 PM
Preventing the existing modeling from shifting can pose a challenge sometimes, especially with poor or inexperienced users. We have tried some of the preventative measures you mentioned in the past and have found that it is more trouble than its worth from a workflow standpoint. A couple things I have found to help: pin critical existing elements, create a design option for existing column grids, careful use of dimensional constraints. I try to avoid using workset to "lock" users out of editing elements, especially in renovation work, because you never know what elements will be impacted. Using worksets in this manner can hinder workflow.

sally_williams18700553
2015-05-12, 09:47 AM
Your posts were a great help to me. Thanks to all of you. I just observed how many people nowadays are showing interest in remodeling their homes. This is a great move especially if you want to maintain the value of your property. I have done several remodeling in my home though I'm really not an expert in this field. Articles and posts from the internet really helped me beautify my home.