PDA

View Full Version : Line Styles

stuntmonkee
2005-02-23, 02:49 PM
I think I know the Answer to this, but I just want to make sure.

There isnt a way to remove/rename standard line style names? I know it's some what anal, but it would be nice to be able to name all my lines styles so that they line up in the same order that as their weight size. . .or is that just me?

Thanks
Stunts

aaronrumple
2005-02-23, 03:52 PM
Not the <System> linesytles. Just the user defined linestyles. And you're right - it is just you. ;-)

stuntmonkee
2005-02-23, 03:56 PM
And you're right - it is just you. ;-)

ouch. . .sucks being a libra sometimes. . . .not that i really follow that, but it's the excuse I'll use for now :grin:

sfaust
2005-02-23, 04:16 PM
You're not totally alone, it would be nice ;) I ended up making types called "Lineweight X" with the X being the actual lineweight (1-6) and ignoring the thin, medium, & wide lines.

stuntmonkee
2005-02-23, 04:25 PM
did the same. . .

Scott Hopkins
2005-02-23, 06:03 PM
it would be nice to be able to name all my lines styles so that they line up in the same order that as their weight size. . .or is that just me?
I think the answer to adding some alphabetical / thickness ordering to the default line styles may be as simple as changing the name of "thin lines" to "fine lines". I think the ultimate goal should be to keep things simple and ordered. When using the linework tool it is a lot easier to find what you are looking for when there are just a few linetypes choices.

Check out this post from a few months back....

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=12410

stuntmonkee
2005-02-23, 06:31 PM
AGREED, it would make things a little cleaner, but for now, I just titled the pens as 1-16, with a short title after them as to give some sort of reference to my offices existing pen weights.

Gadget Man
2005-02-24, 07:44 AM
I like to have my lines right on the top of a list when I use them - I hate scroll bars :x - so I named my lines as I wanted plus a little prefix "-0-" to force them to the beginning of the list and also to recognize them at glance from all the other rubbish (!!!!!!!) So in effect my lines' names look like: "-0- Roof Over" or "-0- Sewer", etc.

Speaking of rubbish, why in the World, REVIT ships with all the line names taken from all over the place and from many different naming conventions thrown together without any apparent reason? It's such a nuisance to get rid of them each and every time they pop-up out of nowhere...! Not only they unnecessarily add up to an overall file size, but they drastically slow down a process of actually finding something useful on the list! The same goes for line patterns and some of the fill patterns too. I mean what's the use of having a line pattern called "Centre" and "Center" almost next to each other with virtually the same definition? Or "Diagonal cross-hatch" and "DIAGONAL CROSSHATCH" ? See the pictures...

I would think that, if I am smart enough to actually run and use the program, I would be smart enough to define my own line styles and patterns as I need them? I mean, some basic and universally used ones are fine for the starters, but why so many and repetitious?

Whining (as usually) Jerry

Steve_Stafford
2005-02-24, 08:22 AM
Perhaps it is obvious but maybe it isn't. The truly default and untouchable linetypes are those that Revit must have in order to work. Everything else is up to you. There really aren't many...how many would you have set up if you were creating Revit from scratch. I think they kept it rather elegant and simple.

Gadget Man
2005-02-24, 09:50 AM
Well Steve, I don't know what you call elegant but I counted not less then 127 (one hundred and twenty seven!!!) pre-installed line types NOT counting those that you can't delete (system line types that REVIT uses). Those lines appeared in REVIT even before I started to do anything with it. They also appear with every new installation (new build version, etc.) and whenever I load any pre-installed Revit family or template. I simply have no time to go through every pre-installed Revit family, clean it and re-save it. And that goes also for patterns and some other libraries.
I didn't bother to count all those hundreds of useless and repetitious render material definitions which I try to delete over and over again because I am sick and tired of them and they keep re-appearing (I remember even some other thread about it too).
I said that a few times before, but I will say it again: I hate when somebody tries to force me to do something THEIR way, because they are sure "it is the best for me".

I just feel, that when I paid over eleven thousand dollars (Australian that is) for the program, and then $1250 a year just to continue, I simply have the right not to be unreservedly happy about everything and anything that this program does or doesn't present... It is a GREAT program - probably the best on the market - don't get me wrong, but for THAT kind of money, my tolerance for bugs and things-not-quiet-right-yet is very limited. Not only with a software (any software) but with everything in life. If I pay, I demand - more I pay, more I demand. Simple as that.

luigi
2005-02-24, 10:23 AM
Isn't the problem the content that Revit is shipped with? Not the blank program? I mean, I only know that the "linetype centre" shows up when a uk type(or metric) component is used, and the imperial has "center". I mean, I have japanese characters in some files, that is because some component I used was done in japan or something.....I am not complaining about it, it just happens...but that's me

Gadget Man
2005-02-24, 10:50 AM
Hello Luigi, Jak sie masz?

The content of REVIT is fine - I don't even suggest a totally "blank" program. After all, by the time I learned how to use a Family Editor and how to define a line pattern and turn it into a style, I used whatever was there - of course!
My point is (and admittedly NOT a very important over all), that at the moment, many patterns and line types are unnecessary repeated, with only slight name changes, as if they come from several different users and each of them simply left behind, what they created there for their own use. To me it is just a bunch of randomly collected "goodies", thrown in just for a good measure without any deep thought. Just as in the "more the merrier". They make the lists too cluttered and what is the worst, they keep re-appearing out of the "blue" almost as soon as I clean my file a bit... I simply can't kill them...!
As to the different spelling and measure systems, I EVER installed ONLY a metric system. I don't need imperial, I don't understand it, I don't like it and I don't WANT it! Yet, my lists are FULL of inches, feet, etc.

Jak tam w Warszawie, zimno?

Jerry

luigi
2005-02-24, 12:44 PM
Czesc Jerry, albo Jerzy???No that is George in Polish...
Dzisiaj pogoda jest nie zle!!! Ale twoj popolsku jest nie zle!!! :)
I agree totally with you in regards to the extra stuff that appear, but I wonder how different it would be for all the other programs out there...the time to clean up and to maintain the library would be huge!!! But no excuses for anybody!!!!
I get you don't like Kings and Queens either? ;)

Peace i pozdrawiam,

Steve_Stafford
2005-02-24, 05:55 PM
Well Steve, I don't know what you call elegant but I counted not less then 127 (one hundred and twenty seven!!!) pre-installed line types NOT counting those that you can't delete (system line types that REVIT uses).I'm just referring to the default template. The other templates are those that Revit staff made an honest attempt to anticipate the typical needs of a user for each kind of template they made. The image attached shows the linestyles I get in the default metric template for North American consumption.

I don't have any problem with you wanting more or having higher standards. I'm just trying to point out that these guys have made a reasonable attempt to satisfy our needs in a general way. As architects are we able to satisfy all clients with one design? That's basically what creating software for us is right? One design for many...

If you have a ton of materials, these are acquired as you load content and import dwgs. If these are in your template it is directly related to the content either Revit placed in the template or that you placed in a project and then use to create a template from. Yes it is a pain to clean this stuff out. But as Luigi said, the content we use does bring in linestyles, fill patterns, materials etc.