PDA

View Full Version : Wall sweeps in front of windows

patricks
2005-02-23, 08:56 PM
I searched and found several threads about problems with windows not cutting wall sweeps. Well my problem is that I have a continuous brick rowlock sweep all the way around a buidling, and when I insert windows the sweep is cut, but I don't want it to. If I try to grab and drag the handles at the ends of the cut sweeps, it won't let me join the ends back together exactly without giving me an error.

The top of the rowlock sweep profile (which is in the wall type) is at 3'-0", and the bottom of the window opening is also at 3'-0".

aaronrumple
2005-02-23, 09:01 PM
Make sure the sweep profile's origin isn't at the edge of the opening - this will cause it to break. The most flexible place for the origin is halfway up the profile. This alows it to be placed above or below windows/openings.

Paul Monsef
2005-02-23, 09:02 PM
I usually "fake it" in such cases.

Try placing the sweep at 2-11 7/8 or so (I don't think it can intersect the void/opening in the window family).

bowlingbrad
2005-02-24, 02:17 PM
Hey Factory!

I hope this is high on the list. It happens for sweeps and reveals too. If we move the sweep as mentioned, we can't dimension to it properly. Thanks again for listening.

aaronrumple
2005-02-24, 02:51 PM
Actually having it the way it is gives you more options and control (t least with the current implementation of sweeps). In the attached project I want Sweep 1 to be continuous above the window, but break @ the sill. This uses the top of profile as it's origin.

With Sweep 2 I want a sweep which is continuous when placed both above and below a window. So I used the midpoint of the profile as the origin.

With Sweep 3 I wanted a continuous sweep above the window and one broken below. For this, use the bottom of the profile as the origin.

So once you understand the rules, there are advantages. However there are things that I that need to be addressed. You do have to have 3 profiles to account for all those options. Having a vertical top/bottom/center justification within the project would be a bit cleaner. Also the split and trim tools should work on sweeps. It would also be great if when placing a 2nd sweep on a wall you could chose the whole wall or just the remaining portion of the wall. Of course non-orthogonal sweeps are needed for those arched openings. A great tool that just needs continued development.

bowlingbrad
2005-02-24, 02:58 PM
Great suggestions, Aaron. More versatile use of sweeps and reveals is what I should have said. I'll open up your project and try to implement your 'rules'.