PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Modeling an in-place component issue...

xzibited377538
2013-10-17, 08:24 AM
Hi, so I've come across a slight issue - I'm trying to model an in-place component wall between two separate in-place component roofs (see attached image). When in modeling mode I've used the pick line command to select the curvature of the roofs but the trim command will not let me select these curves and trim up the selection so I am unable to create the wall - Am I going about this the wrong way of is there an easier solution?

damon.sidel
2013-10-17, 12:44 PM
A couple thoughts:
1. You can't trim splines. You could try splitting the spline at the intersection, but that may not be accurate enough. Also, you might consider approximating the curvature of your roof with tangent arcs. Are these roofs extrusions or are they more complex? Because the Roof-by-Extrusion would save you a lot of trouble.
2. I would consider using a regular wall with edit profile instead of an In-Place Component. Similarly, for your roofs: if they are more complex than extrusions, I would recommend creating an In-Place Mass and then doing Roof-by-Face. Then see point three below...
3. Once you are using real roofs (either Roof-by-Extrusion or Roof-by-Face), you can attach the top and bottom of the wall to the roofs and it will cut automatically.

In general, I believe that the less you do with In-Place Components, the better.

xzibited377538
2013-10-17, 07:50 PM
Thanks massively for your reply Damon, I really appreciate it :) - Yes these are roofs by extrusions.

I have tried approximating the curvature but couldn't get it close enough. I tried using the edit wall profile but stumbled into the same issue of being unable to trim splines and when I try and use a standard wall with the attach to roof command I am unable to to get the base of the wall to attach to the lower roof.

So yeah, I'm still kinda stuck with this one at the moment... :?

Dimitri Harvalias
2013-10-17, 10:35 PM
Is there a reason you need the wall to be an in-place family?
Not sure why the walls won't attach. What kind of error message are you getting when you try to attach?

Dimitri Harvalias
2013-10-17, 11:05 PM
An alternative is to duplicate the roof forms, paste them to the same place and then create a vertical opening to carve the roof away to the point you want your wall to go. Once the sacrificial roof is sculpted to the correct length you can then create your in-place wall family or profile sketch by setting the workplane to one of the cut faces and then using the pick tool to find those edges.

davidcobi
2013-10-18, 12:03 AM
when I try and use a standard wall with the attach to roof command I am unable to to get the base of the wall to attach to the lower roof.

Maybe when you click on Attach Top/Base command make sure you check the Base radio button in the options bar. Checking the option bar after selecting a command is often overlooked.

Steve_Stafford
2013-10-18, 03:13 AM
The way those roofs overlap I doubt that Attach Top/Base will do both, top or base will work but not both. I suspect that using Edit Profile will yield the closest working result. Shouldn't need to be an in-place wall if it's just filling in between the roofs.

damon.sidel
2013-10-18, 01:01 PM
Attach top and base works fine... but there is one place that you have to be careful. As Steve points out, you'll have a hard time getting it to attach to the top roof and bottom roof in that area. In the image I posted, in both cases the roofs overlap (I've joined them in the Extrusion version) and the wall is attached top-of-wall to the top roof and bottom-of-wall to the bottom roof. The trick? Make sure the wall doesn't extend past where the roofs converges. I drew the wall short, so it didn't even come close to the roof convergence, attached it top and bottom, then in elevation dragged the end of the wall over to the convergence point. It works like a charm.