PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Relative vs Absolute path and Managing Links

58D Pilot
2013-10-22, 08:48 PM
I am working to understand an issue with Relative vs Absolute paths for linked files in Revit 2014. Projects are not updating the “Saved Path” file location when “Path Type” is changed from relative (default) to absolute.
To determine what was going on I created a new site and two building models on my hard drive (worksets NOT enabled). One link used a relative path, the other was changed to an absolute path after the initial insert. When I cut and paste the three files onto our server and open the site with the linked models the files functions as expected. The relative link loads without issue, while the absolute linked file breaks. I “Reload From” for the link with the absolute path and shebang, there it is (as expected). The weird thing is that now if I try to change the “Path Type” from absolute to relative the saved path location does not update. The link that was inserted with a relative path prior to the move updates the saved path location when changed to absolute and back to relative (as it is supposed to!)
If go through the entire process above with Worksets enable prior to the file cut and paste operation the saved paths do not update when the path type is changed.. Does anyone know what the heck is going on and how to resolve? Is this issue related to something going on after links are inserted when Worksets are enabled?