PDA

View Full Version : PDF printing problems with ceilings on

Chad Smith
2003-11-11, 09:59 PM
I've just noticed today that when I print a drawing to a PDF (using Acrobat Distiller 5.0) and have ceilings turned on, that only the text is shown where the ceiling is. Any object directly underneath the ceiling are not there.... or are they.
Now, when I pan part of the floor plan off the screen and then back on screen, all the objects under the ceiling are temporarily displayed for a second, and then disappear. When I print this file, the objects are still missing as per whats displayed on screen.
Anyone else noticed this too? It's no biggy, and probably an Adobe problem so there is probably not much that can be done about it.
I have attached a file that has this problem.

beegee
2003-11-11, 10:31 PM
Chad,

Sounds like it could be a driver problem.

I take it you can print straight to your plotter without this problem ?

Have you tried using a different PDF writer to see if the same thing happens ?

Chad Smith
2003-11-11, 11:24 PM
Prints just fine to the printer.
Haven't tried a different driver. I might download the Revit PDF writer from Autodesk and give it a go later today when I get a chance.

Chad Smith
2003-11-12, 12:58 AM
OK, I tried the Autodesk Revit PDF Writer and it yielded the same results.
So maybe it is a Revit problem. Maybe it may have something to do with the draw order when the file is sent to the PDF printer, although that wouldn't explain why it doesn't do it when printing to a physical printer. :?

beegee
2003-11-12, 01:29 AM
Are you using the latest build ? There were some vector processing problems fixed by the latest build.

Also, try switching between colour ( printer setting ) and black and white.

beegee
2003-11-12, 05:48 AM
Chad,

I just remembered this post from Steve Burri about a similar problem.

This might seem a bit simplistic, and you may have tried it, but you may have also overlooked it, so...

In most "data drop" cases that I've seen the issue is related to a lack of memory at the printer. You can chose to substitute the printer's memory with your computer's memory by selecting the "Advance" option "Process Document...", "...In Computer"

That might be the case if the pdf routine requires more printer memory than the normal plot routine. Anyway, it may be worth a try.

Chad Smith
2003-11-12, 09:13 PM
It seems that only HP printers have the 'Process document' option.
Besides, if the file is being sent to a PDF writer then there shouldn't be any problem with printer memory. I have 1GB of RAM, which should be more than enough.