PDA

View Full Version : 2013 3D View - Camera, Can't "drag" the Target

saeborne
2013-11-05, 08:58 PM
Hi all,

Let's say I'm looking at a floor plan view, and have clicked the "Show Camera" option on a 3D Perspective view. Now, in the floor plan, both the camera, and the camera's target are visible. It looks something like this:

http://docs.autodesk.com/REVIT/2010/ENU/Revit%20Architecture%202010%20Users%20Guide/RAC/index.html?url=WS46b90c3cb2c58cad922804fc7fa4315f-7f98.htm,topicNumber=d0e12656

In the plan view, I can click and drag both the camera and the target to my heart's content, in order to adjust the 3D view. It's a handy way to adjust the views to be exactly where I want them... Except...

I've noticed that Revit no longer allows "draggable" adjustment of the target, if the eye elevation and target elevation of the 3D view are different. Let's say the eye elevation is 5'-6", and you're looking up, to say 25'-0".

Initially, I thought it was the target of the view was higher than the plan view settings. But it doesn't work if the eye elevation is 5'-6" and the target elevation is 5'-7".

Has anyone encountered this? Any idea how to work around it?

Thanks in advance.

damon.sidel
2013-11-05, 09:13 PM
This may be a very silly question: have you tried pressing Tab while hovering over the target? I find selecting the camera target to be quirky.

saeborne
2013-11-05, 09:26 PM
Hah! You scared me for a second. I thought, "could it really be that simple? Could I really be that stupid?"

But alas... if I tab through, I can select the entire camera, and then move both the target and the eye position, but I still can't move the target independently.

Dimitri Harvalias
2013-11-05, 11:20 PM
Actually Damon is correct (but that doesn't need to imply that you are stupid :lol:)
This only appears to be a problem if the target elevation is higher than the eye level.
If you open up an elevation view you'll see why. There are actually two grips to control the target. One is blue (that controls the height) and the other is red (that controls the location/direction).
If you tab through the target you'll either see it blue or red. If it's blue you won't be able to do anything with it. If it's red you should be ale to alter the target direction.

http://youtu.be/iMlX7GY20h4

saeborne
2013-11-06, 03:27 PM
Thank you so much, Dimitri. So clear, and now I can stop banging my head against the keyboard.

The youtube clip is priceless!