PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Ceiling Tag from Finish Floor

nick.scalone375545
2013-11-13, 10:05 PM
Hello All

I am trying to create a ceiling tag that displays the height from the finish floor. I know how to make it 'offset from level" but in my case, the finish floor is 2" above the level (which is my floor slab). I was thinking there could be a workaround where I build a formula into the tag that says whatever the height is, subtract 2". Is this something that can be done? Is there a better workaround to this?

Thank you all in advance!
-N

irneb
2013-11-14, 06:34 AM
I always draw on the FFL level itself. The SFL is usually a different matter (for structure only) and has little to nothing to do with ceilings. For this reason IMO Architecture is a lot more concerned with the FFL and SFL is more of an afterthought. So what I generally do is to draw the FFL first (get an idea of what thickness the floor finish needs to be - is it direct on power floating / the structure forms the finish / a screed / anything up to a raised access floor). The main reason is the usable flow across floor finishes needs to be at the same level, if you want a step then you need to make a step - not be forced into it because your floor finish is suddenly a different thickness. Then I add SFL levels to keep the structural engineer happy (no-one else uses it except sporadically in coordination), and thus I also know where the SFL needs recesses and/or steps - in order to keep the finished level constant. From there the SE & QS can decide if it's more efficient to step the concrete or to add a light-weight screed.

If you make a Ceiling Plan on a FFL level your relative height will show the correct AFFL. Note you can always add an extra level and set it to a duplicate type (so you can hide it in sections where you don't want to see it).

If you have to fudge this (i.e. absolutely refuse to have a FFL level) and turn such into a manual task of stating the floor finish thickness in the ceiling's tag. Then you can't use a spot level. Rather use a ceiling tag and then add an extra shared parameter to ceilings so you can manually type in this info. Don't know of a way to incorporate a formula into a system family's custom parameters though. But IMO this is not much better than placing text manually.