PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Revit project template

MikeJarosz
2013-11-18, 06:04 PM
My understanding of the Revit project template, as opposed to the view templates, is that you get one chance to use it: when you open a new project and you get the prompt to load the template file. After data has been added to the new project, there is no way to reload the project template to reset a project gone wrong. The template wasn't design to reset the project. Am I correct?

dhurtubise
2013-11-19, 02:25 PM
You could use Transfer Project Standards with a new file(based on that template) to "update"

MikeJarosz
2013-11-20, 02:25 PM
This works, sort of........It limits you to the built-in list of settings that can be transferred. In fact, I have been doings this to reset color fills back to office standards. The issue of resetting an entire project came up when we inherited a Revit file from another firm. Of course, it was done their way, and we wanted to instantly convert it to our way. Wishful thinking, I guess :rolleyes:

rosskirby
2013-11-20, 03:29 PM
The only way to truly bring an existing project file into a new template is to start a new (blank) file from your office template, link in the existing model, bind it, and explode it. You'll lose all of the views and details from the original, but the model will remain intact, and you'll have to create new views for your floor/ceiling plans, etc. Otherwise, your only option is Transfer Project Standards, which leaves you with a lot of double-families and manual select-and-swap work to change the existing stuff to match your template/standards.

MikeJarosz
2013-11-25, 06:08 PM
I found another shortcoming to this approach. An RTE file will not allow worksets to be set up. So, I reasoned if I've already made a RVT file from the RTE, I could enable worksharing. I did and it worked. EXCEPT, worksets are not in the transfer standards dropdown!

dhurtubise
2013-11-26, 07:49 AM
Technically worksets cannot be part of a project template that's why they are not part of the Transfer Project Standards tool.

MikeJarosz
2013-11-26, 03:00 PM
OMG! Consistency! In Revit!!!!

cberteaux371801
2014-03-28, 08:03 PM
In our office I have a master Rte file that has all of our typical standards built into a drafting view or a plan view. The actual company "Used" templates have worksets enabled so I can then control things like Worksets, Filters etc. its a small bit of setup between the two steps, but works pretty good here. I have a warning disclaimer in my Starting View (Sheet) that tells them that this is a workset enabled model and that they need to create a new central for each project from it.

MikeJarosz
2014-03-28, 09:29 PM
Technically worksets cannot be part of a project template that's why they are not part of the Transfer Project Standards tool.

In our office I have a master Rte file that has all of our typical standards built into a drafting view or a plan view. The actual company "Used" templates have worksets enabled so I can then control things like Worksets, Filters etc. its a small bit of setup between the two steps, but works pretty good here. I have a warning disclaimer in my Starting View (Sheet) that tells them that this is a workset enabled model and that they need to create a new central for each project from it.

"Collaborate/worksets" is grayed out in the rte file. A template file cannot be workset-enabled. What I think you may have done is make an actual rvt file from the template and use it as a rvt template by copying it to each new project and making the copy the central file. The template file can be workset-enabled before copying and worksets added as needed. This will establish standard worksets. I know several firms that take this approach.

cberteaux371801
2014-03-28, 09:34 PM
"Collaborate/worksets" is grayed out in the rte file. A template file cannot be workset-enabled. What I think you may have done is make an actual rvt file from the template and use it as a rvt template by copying it to each new project and making the copy the central file. The template file can be workset-enabled before copying and worksets added as needed. This will establish standard worksets. I know several firms that take this approach.

You are correct. I make an actual "Central" file from the master for each studio we have, and that central becomes the "Used" template.