PDA

View Full Version : 2014 How can I get the volume of a swimming pool?

desmondb
2013-11-21, 04:34 AM
Good day all

We are designing and refurbing swimming pools and alays need to draw up existing pools. We also have to get the volume of water of the existing pool as well as the new pool. I thought that drawing masses inside the pool would be best but this is proving a lot more difficult than it probably should be.

What do you guys think I should be using? If it is massing then what is the easiest way to draw them?

We have been struggling with this for a while as the pools aren't always square and their floors usually slope in different angles to a central drain. I have managed to draw three seperate masses in a single pool, after which I can just add the three volumes together, but I wanted to know how to draw a single mass as it would be more accurate? The massing system just doesn't allow us to draw a single mass in the pool. When we go to "Create Form" Revit tells us that it is not able to create the form.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Steve_Stafford
2013-11-21, 05:05 AM
See my reply HERE (http://www.revitforum.org/architecture-general-revit-questions/17206-how-can-i-get-volume-swimming-pool.html).

Bill Gilliss
2013-11-25, 03:12 PM
Perhaps this is heresy, but I'd export the pool structure to a 3D AutoCAD file and then fill in the pool with AutoCAD solids. Use as many as you need -- even overlapping if easier to model that way -- and then just union them together into a single solid. You won't even need a calculator to add up the volumes. Also, it is *far* easier to fillet the edges of solids in AutoCAD than in Revit, to get all those coved edges.

It strikes me that AutoCAD's LOFT command would be perfect for describing a volume like a pool whose perimeter changes as you go from bottom to top.