PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Ceiling Grid without tiles, just the grid

Spark Yunker
2013-11-25, 04:20 PM
Is there a way to create a ceiling grid without the tile inlays? Portions of our ceilings in the current project will require some of the ceilings to be exposed with ceiling grid visible. Around these openings will be standard ceiling grid with inlay tiles.

I understand to make two separate ceilings for the room. It's the no tile ceiling that is giving us grief.

I have considered making an in-place family to account for the open design, but it won't count in schedules.

Any help would be appreciated!

Dimitri Harvalias
2013-11-25, 07:16 PM
Welcome to the forums.
If you just need it for scheduling purposes just create a new ceiling type. If you need it for visualization you could just create a new material for the ceiling tile that is just the grid. Use the same surface pattern but change the transparency to 100% for the tile. If you need the geometry for the grid I'd probably use a beam system or a family to do that.

Steve_Stafford
2013-11-25, 11:28 PM
Counter-intuitive but a Roof type > Sloped Glazing works too. The mullions can be assigned a "tee" profile or just a simple rectangle like the stock 1" square mullion. You can define which "mullions" should be continuous and which should "break", much like a real ceiling grid. It's the same concepts as curtain walls but these are allowed to be "flat" where curtain walls are not. Curtain Panel types or custom panels can be used for actual ceiling panels and/or light fixtures. Takes more effort but it can give you more "ceiling like" system behavior.

Dimitri Harvalias
2013-11-26, 03:48 AM
Nice Steve! (as always) :beer:

dhurtubise
2013-11-26, 07:44 AM
We don't use the Ceiling tool much anymore as our needs to control every detail is never satisfied with it... unless its some very basic ones.
So we also use the Roof tool but it's not as easy as it sounds. Especially creating/using the panels when they get complicated. The rewards are great though. Control of every joint, alignement with walls pattern and of course scheduling. We also use nested lighting fixtures a lot.

MikeJarosz
2013-11-26, 03:04 PM
I wish we had Revit when we did the Toronto Airport in A**D. The ceiling plenum was so full of stuff, notes on the drawings like "attach to slab above" were meaningless because 9 times out of ten, you couldn't get to the slab above. We were forced to draw RCPs with AND without the tile so we could see what was really up there!