PDA

View Full Version : Could someone explain Revit pricing?

richard.82786
2005-02-26, 05:44 PM
I am having trouble understanding the current pricing model as someone who would want to start using Revit. I see the "subscription price" on the Autodesk website, but it is not clear whether there is an additional initial (hefty) license fee, which I've seen quoted, too. Or perhaps you pay the license fee and then get the first year's subscription included? Or perhaps the single license fee and the subscription model are two separate tracks, as I had understood at one point in the past. Oh, it's all so confusing....

I recall that quite awhile back (when Revit was independent from Autodesk) you could easily just start using Revit for a relatively nominal montly payment, without any initial large "buy-in". This option doesn't seem to exist anymore.

TIA
Richard

studio3p
2005-02-26, 07:07 PM
I can't speak for all regions, but my reseller charges an initial fee (you're right, it's hefty) as well as the subscription fee. So the first year you'll pay the combined amount. Every year after that you'll be paying the prevailing subscription fee.

richard.82786
2005-02-26, 08:07 PM
Joseph,

If what you say is true, then I'm more inclined to stay away. Autodesk has screwed me over multiple times with their license/pricing policies and unilateral revisions. Like when I bought my first AutoCAD license, which was transferable at the time and which made me feel comfortable with my investment. Then they suddenly unilaterally cancelled license transfers, essentially wiping out a large part of my investment. (I still feel like this was theft.) Then there was the ill-fated "VIP Subscription" program, which was supposed to cover me for coming upgrades. But after a year, I had seen nothing but lame quarterly CDs with some "Bonus Tools" and bug patches. They've also wiped out any upgrade credits for older versions of AutoCAD/ADT.

I always thought the original pricing model of Revit was pretty cool. But at this point, I feel like Autodesk is looking out for my interests about as much as the oil industry is.

Steve_Stafford
2005-02-26, 08:22 PM
...I always thought the original pricing model of Revit was pretty cool. But at this point, I feel like Autodesk is looking out for my interests about as much as the oil industry is...With Revit we have a good history of value for subscription with one main release per year with a mid year "point" release. They also release new builds as issues arise that need fixing and deserve or must be before a normal release.

Bentley also charges a maintenance fee per year and I believe many other software companies have similar practices. I wouldn't let your experience with Autodesk and AutoCAD influence your decision with regard to Revit.

richard.82786
2005-02-26, 08:58 PM
Well, let me ask some other questions that Autodesk has not explained well. (Which also makes me nervous based on past experience.)

What happens if I elect to skip a subscription period, or am late resubscribing? Does the software continue to function into perpetuity at the last upgrade level? Or does it stop working immediately, or even more nefariously, like a few months later? (I can just imagine something buried in the EULA that allows them to disable the software at any point in the future at their discretion if you haven't paid. And if not now, as a "feature" to be added later.) If you elect not to do the subscription and a year later you decide to opt back in, are you back at square one with a new license fee or paying an increased subscription fee?

How do you handle transferring the license to a new computer, or take a project home to work on your laptop? If you're using an on-line license manager, do you have confidence that your laptop is not suddenly going to require an additional license fee?

With other programs I have now, there is an installation disk and a hardware lock (USB) which I can easily transfer between computers. If I elect to skip over the next upgrade for whatever reason, I KNOW that I can still work just fine and I haven't lost my investment. As long as the USB lock works and I don't lose it, I can go on working. I am just nervous about being put in the position of being potentially extorted to get access to MY OWN data, and can find no reassurances on Autodesk's website. [Oh man, is this sounding bitter or what?]

studio3p
2005-02-27, 12:32 AM
Richard -

I am not going to attempt to speak for, or defend any software company or predict what they'll do in the future. The issues you've raised are very real.

The current license I have is a "permanent" license. The subscription simply provides me access to the latest builds and releases.

Transferring your license to another computer has not been a problem for me. I have both transferred my license to a new computer, and I've used the Portable License Utility to share a license between computers. Currently Autodesk allows you to install the same license on two computers (as long as Revit isn't being used simultaneously on both), so I have Revit installed both at my downtown office and my home office.

Buying and maintaining software licensing carries a noticeable price tag. Expensive is a relative term. A pencil and paper may not cost as much as Revit, but once my time and Revit's efficiency are figured in, Revit is by far the least expensive solution I've found.

beegee
2005-02-27, 01:03 AM
If you decline to renew your subscription, you retain the right to use the software in its current version.

>>>What happens if I elect to skip a subscription period, or am late resubscribing? Does the software continue to function into perpetuity at the last upgrade level? Or does it stop working immediately, or even more nefariously, like a few months later? (I can just imagine something buried in the EULA that allows them to disable the software at any point in the future at their discretion if you haven't paid. And if not now, as a "feature" to be added later.) If you elect not to do the subscription and a year later you decide to opt back in, are you back at square one with a new license fee or paying an increased subscription fee?

ppelegrin
2005-02-27, 04:29 AM
Hi Richard,

The others here have answered most of your questions already - and these are correct.

I am surprised however that you used the reference to the software no longer 'working' if you choose not to upgrade or pay for subscription. This has never been a system Autodesk has used, to this day (however many other vendors, ie. Autodesk competitors, do use this method).

The 'lease' arrangement Revit had does not appear to fit Autodesk's business model, however I propose after a longer period of time that this may have meant paying more and not less (i.e. the yearly payments being more than the Subscription yearly payments), so its a little bit both ways, possibly a long term benefit vs the short term, which I admit would help cash flow.

In regards to the ability of the inability to on-sell your software (transferable) I am unsure if this was actually ever part of any AutoCAD licence agreement. I do know that some time ago, Autodesk allowed it, but ceased this, except in specific instances (among others, if you sell your 'business' Autodesk will allow this to be part of the sold assets). Not to support Autodesk's method on this, I will simply say that this is a very common feature of 'software' which has quite different legal terms to Hardware (or most physical items for that matter), this is the same for Microsoft software and many other applications you possibly own, and some of these do not legally allow you to move the application from one computer to another. The point I am making; in the world of Software vendors, including CAD there are many other vendors that have more aggresive traits on this subject than Autodesk - Although I concede that their market position automatically attracts more focus than other vendor and that Autodesk is far from perfect.

At the end of the day, forgetting the technicalities of licencing details, if you are 'investing' your money on any Autodesk software and it is not paying a return, then I would suggest, do not pay any more - If there are other applications that allow you all the freedoms discussed in your topic (transferable, little or no maintenance fees, is cheap to purchase in the first place) and will generate a return on investment, even if less efficient than say the Revit application, you should not discount it as an option...

Regards
P Pelegrin

robert.77524
2005-05-26, 07:20 AM
I am having trouble understanding the current pricing model as someone who would want to start using Revit. I see the "subscription price" on the Autodesk website, but it is not clear whether there is an additional initial (hefty) license fee, which I've seen quoted, too. Or perhaps you pay the license fee and then get the first year's subscription included? Or perhaps the single license fee and the subscription model are two separate tracks, as I had understood at one point in the past. Oh, it's all so confusing....

I recall that quite awhile back (when Revit was independent from Autodesk) you could easily just start using Revit for a relatively nominal montly payment, without any initial large "buy-in". This option doesn't seem to exist anymore.

TIA
Richard

I've got to totally sympathize with this dilemma. We've got a project coming into the office that will need 2 or 3 extra people or a 6 month period. Autodesk has NO licensing model other than purchasing 2 or 3 full versions! Go figure if thats a way to make money.....

Robert

Lashers
2005-05-26, 09:41 AM
I've got to totally sympathize with this dilemma. We've got a project coming into the office that will need 2 or 3 extra people or a 6 month period. Autodesk has NO licensing model other than purchasing 2 or 3 full versions! Go figure if thats a way to make money.....

Robert

Thats the one thing I REALLY miss from the good old days, before the buyout (which I feel better about now . .), Revit could be used on a monthly license (£97.00 in the UK) so that if the situation you indicated came up you could expand and contract to suit.

I can't imaging why Autodesk don't look into this type of system - even if they restrict it to subscribers only (eg you have to at the least have a full version on subscription already) it would help my business grow in a more steady and organic fashion. I am in the same position, i could try to win bigger jobs but the capital investment (even with a loan) proves to be more a risk and drain on fragile income, and therefore causes me to maybe miss my boat!

PeterJ
2005-05-26, 11:10 AM
There are Autodesk resellers who will hire systems including software. Why not approach them to hire a Revit box?

bclarch
2005-05-26, 02:03 PM
Thats the one thing I REALLY miss from the good old days, before the buyout (which I feel better about now . .), Revit could be used on a monthly license (£97.00 in the UK) so that if the situation you indicated came up you could expand and contract to suit.

I can't imaging why Autodesk don't look into this type of system - even if they restrict it to subscribers only (eg you have to at the least have a full version on subscription already) it would help my business grow in a more steady and organic fashion. I am in the same position, i could try to win bigger jobs but the capital investment (even with a loan) proves to be more a risk and drain on fragile income, and therefore causes me to maybe miss my boat!
Amen brother! (Whoops, didn't mean to start another religious thread.) This would be a great help in dealing with the employment of summer interns.

Lashers
2005-05-26, 02:21 PM
Amen brother! (Whoops, didn't mean to start another religious thread.) This w. . . ..
ha ha ha . . .

Pete, the only thing that puts me off about that is that I feel like if I had paid for a new computer (or 4) by the end of the rental, whereas the software side is not a problem for me . . .don't ask!!?? I could be insane.

iru69
2005-05-26, 03:38 PM
Revit could be used on a monthly license (£97.00 in the UK) so that if the situation you indicated came up you could expand and contract to suit.

This is the kind of creative solutions that Autodesk needs to be open to. With all the recent discussion about software piracy, this is a good way to address it.

I think the current system works okay and should be kept in place, but there should be an alternate "lease" type agreement available with no money down, but a high monthly payment.

If Autodesk makes it easy (as in convenient and reasonably priced), firms are less likely to simply install additional copies without paying for them when they need an extra hand or more for six months. It also seems like a great way to grow market share. And I would encourage them not to restrict it to existing customers/subscribers - a rental system is a good way for a company to really test the waters without plunking down four grand for each copy up front.

robert.77524
2005-05-26, 10:29 PM
There are Autodesk resellers who will hire systems including software. Why not approach them to hire a Revit box?

Not in Australia. Our reseller was quite specific on this subject.

PeterJ
2005-05-26, 10:46 PM
Push them harder, it breaks the EULA (cross thread discussion) so they require express permission, but I believe there is a hidden renters edition of the EULA that came about becasue a UK reseller wanted to offer just that.

Lashers
2005-05-27, 04:09 PM
. . . . . . And I would encourage them not to restrict it to existing customers/subscribers - a rental system is a good way for a company to really test the waters without plunking down four grand for each copy up front.

You are right, I just threw that in, in-case someone from Autodesk was actually thinking about it. I expect that they would be more confident with an already subscribed client than a complete stranger.

I think that they would be shocked to discover the number of new customers ( I wish I could say partners ) they would be able to develop, not to mention people like myself, who would feel much more confident in planning the future of my business.

Very rough but consider this:

New Revit Computer - say £1200
New Employee - say £18,000/year / £1000 per month (probably wrong)
New Revit License - say £3600?? (can't be *ssed to check) OR £100.00/month

Roughly that would put the first months cost at £5,800 with the current system, before you get paid for the 6 month job.

OR £2300 with the rental method!!!!

If they really wanted to be nice . heh heh . . they could give you half what you paid during the rental period as a discount, if you purchase a full license at the end of the agreed period!!! By then you might have won that other job that gives you the security to do this!

Go on, GO ON . . . just me being crazy!