PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Adjusting Linework in Plan

Kevin.Malawski454216
2013-12-03, 02:44 PM
Hello all,

Does anyone know the best way to control linework in plan view? As of now I have been using the 'linework' tool and splitting partitions at specific joins to show their linework correctly. Where they join into walls, the view template controls the lineweight of the join beautifully -- see green circle below.

This hasn't caused any issues and is typically the way I set these plans up. However, at the exterior there are steel columns that need to be wrapped w/ GWB. I can lighten the linework inside the column wrap but I cannot change that of the interior side of the exterior wall without changing the lineweight along the whole wall -- see red circle. This causes a heavy black cut line on the inside of the column wrap.

Other than lightening that line and manually placing detail lines, is there an alternative way of controlling that lineweight -- preferably in a BIM-smart method that will move with the element. The only solution I can see is locking detail lines to the wall -- but that will not update with window changes. I would be amazed to learn that there is no way to intelligently control this in Revit 2014.

Thanks for any advice or help anyone can offer!
-Kevin

PijPiwo
2013-12-03, 07:19 PM
You can create a wall with air layer and GB. Set wrapping at ends and join that wall to the main ext. wall. Take a look at the enclosed rvt file, should be self-explanatory.

Kevin.Malawski454216
2013-12-03, 07:45 PM
Piwo,

First off thank you for the reply -- and I appreciate the Polish reference. The issue with what you are showing, despite the clever work-around, is that the model is to be turned over the client at the end. The BIM Execution plan is very detailed and demanding, and thus the walls must be accurately depicted and constructed. The AIR space workaround won't fly with them.

Is there really no actual way to control the linework in Revit?

Thanks,
Kevin

bclarch
2013-12-04, 04:38 PM
Have you tried using architectural columns for your piers? They will join to the wall and the layers will wrap.

Kevin.Malawski454216
2013-12-04, 04:58 PM
I did investigate that option, the only catch is that the column is only extrusions -- not walls as it will actually be. Since the model is being turned over to the client (and used for calcs & modeling purposes) it will need to be intelligent and accurate. Its a good thought though, but not what I'm hoping to find.

I'm beginning to think that there is no answer to this issue other than dumb detail lines; I can't see any intelligent alternatives.

-Kevin

PijPiwo
2013-12-04, 06:05 PM
It might not be exactly what you’re looking for, but another option would be to create ext. wall furring layer as a separate wall type (studs + GB only). It will give more flexibility and cleaner look around the column and when joining with other partitions, and it will be accurate construction wise. Option 1 (attached jpg) shows thicker int. wall line, …I know, something that you want to avoid, but frankly IMHO, it looks just fine. Linework tool was used in option 2.
I’m Sorry I couldn’t be more helpful. Pozdrawiam!