PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Schedule can not create length

Bluefairy
2013-12-10, 12:17 AM
I am creating a schedule for Countertops and tiles. I clearly see in the properties bar under dimensions, depth and length.

When I go to create my schedule, I see that I can add in the fields, depth but not length. I dont see length in the available fields. Why? I suppose I can create a field called length but it does not seem to input the associated length.

Any suggestions?

dhurtubise
2013-12-10, 11:30 AM
What category are your tiles? A Wall, a Generic Model?

Bluefairy
2013-12-10, 06:17 PM
It is under caseworks. Should I go into the family and change it to Generic Model?

jsteinhauer
2013-12-10, 09:44 PM
is there a field for width instead of Length? Why are tiles under casework? Are these as a counter top? I would use a wall type for wall tiles, and a floor for floor tiles, and ceilings for ceiling tiles. Can you do a calculated value based upon the area divided by the height?

Cheers,
Jeff S.

Bluefairy
2013-12-10, 10:36 PM
I had modified and Island family. I didnt like using walls because the changes were not as easy or applied.

dhurtubise
2013-12-11, 08:17 AM
Are you calculating the backsplash tiling? If so, just add the Length parameter if you dont have it.

MikeJarosz
2013-12-11, 08:55 PM
This is a naming nightmare. What really are length width and height? How does depth differ from thickness? I have seen labels in many different families that call out LxWxH differently. I try to make x=width, y=length and z=height but that's just me.

One man's width is another woman's depth.

dhurtubise
2013-12-12, 07:52 AM
At least that's what she said ;)

jsteinhauer
2013-12-12, 06:50 PM
What really are length width and height?

Mike,

The content I've created for my firm uses Width Depth & Height. These are used for Specialty Equipment families for the science orientated facilities in which we design. Length is all to often thrown around, but we try to not used it, unless required (IMO: Length=Width). Also, most of the documentation we receive for equipment from the manufacturers lists WxDxH. Trying not to reinvent the wheel here.

Cheers,
Jeff S.

Cheers,
Je

irneb
2013-12-13, 08:04 AM
I try to make x=width, y=length and z=height but that's just me.Of course not in Line-Base families. Then the default "Length" is already placed in X.

But you're correct, many a time I've seen these used interchangeably - not to mention you also get "Breadth" :roll: will it never end? I've even seen rectangular RC columns where instead of rotating them, the width and "breadth" was swapped - so you end up with 2 different column types even though they're exactly the same when constructed!

MikeJarosz
2013-12-13, 02:32 PM
Ah, the English language with its enormous vocabulary. Would it be simpler in Afrikaans?

irneb
2013-12-13, 03:10 PM
Ah, the English language with its enormous vocabulary. Would it be simpler in Afrikaans?Not exactly no, same problem there :roll::

Width = Wydte
Length = Lengte
Height = Hoogte
Breadth = Breedte
Thickness = Dikte
Depth = Diepte

Bluefairy
2013-12-22, 05:24 PM
Perhaps I did not make myself clear. When I click on the family "Countertop", the parameters, "Length" and "Depth" shows up in the properties bar.

"Depth" can be added to the fields in a schedule. However, not "length" How do I get "Length" to show up in the schedule?

jsteinhauer
2013-12-23, 03:18 PM
It must have been created as a family parameter and not a Shared Parameter. You can swap it out with a Length parameter from your shared parameter file.

Cheers,
Jeff S.