PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Residential Roof help.

Boonetrails
2013-12-10, 12:31 AM
I am creating a house that has two different wall heights. I can't seem to create a roof that attaches to both walls.

I've tried creating one roof with different sloping angles and creating 3 different roofs and joining them just cant seem to figure it out.

Below is a picture of the roof plan I am trying to create (sorry my dog got it all muddy), a picture of my roofless model and the model itself.

Here is the model.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10500150/Sample%203.rvt

Any Suggestions?

Thanks

jsteinhauer
2013-12-10, 03:20 PM
I was able to get it done with one roof using the Offset from level command, but it isn't exactly what was sketched. You will probably need to do this roof in a few separate pieces, then Join them together. The walls can be attached to ceilings of different heights, and the roof/s can be placed over top of them. Not sure where this is being built, or if it is being built. But I would look at the roofs over the front entry and maybe extend them out, so rain or snow is pushed back from the front entrance.

Cheers,
Jeff S.

cdatechguy
2013-12-10, 03:58 PM
Your going to want to rethink your roof with two different ceiling heights if your planning on using trusses since you will have a 9' plate and a 10' plate height. Also you have WAY TOO MANY levels! I created a roof on what I thought was Level 1 and it was built only a couple of feet off the ground. You should have Level 1 then Roof...nothing in between..for a simple house like this. You will run into issues when you start adding rooms and trying to fix your visibility settings.

Edit...also go into your Project Units (type UN) and change your roof angle to pitch instead of degrees....a lot easier to setup your roofs that way.

Boonetrails
2013-12-11, 06:20 PM
I was able to get it done with one roof using the Offset from level command, but it isn't exactly what was sketched. You will probably need to do this roof in a few separate pieces, then Join them together. The walls can be attached to ceilings of different heights, and the roof/s can be placed over top of them. Not sure where this is being built, or if it is being built. But I would look at the roofs over the front entry and maybe extend them out, so rain or snow is pushed back from the front entrance.

Cheers,
Jeff S.

The problem I am running into is the pointed out roofs are two different heights. I tried adjusting the lines by using the offset from base but it doesn't seem to give me the results I need.

I have tried making two different roofs and joining them but the command isn't working either. Am I doing something wrong? I am using the join roofs button and it won't highlight the two roofs.

Any other suggestions?

jsteinhauer
2013-12-11, 06:28 PM
You need to offset each boundary line inside of the roof sketch command, not the final product.

Boonetrails
2013-12-11, 06:38 PM
You need to offset each boundary line inside of the roof sketch command, not the final product.

Once I do that I get some overhang that not needed and a gap.

Does this mean I need to combine two separate roofs instead of changing the offset?

jsteinhauer
2013-12-12, 07:25 PM
Offset 1 is the same problem I was having getting this little corner to clean up nicely.
Offset 2, you just need to offset the boundary line along this edge by 1-0", the same as you did for the other boundary line.

I took the time to get it working about 40 minutes. and it took me three separate roofs for the main part of the house. See the attached images. You'll need to make the fine adjustments to meet your roof, but it is pretty close to the rood sketch.

Cheers,
Jeff S.

Boonetrails
2013-12-12, 11:44 PM
Offset 1 is the same problem I was having getting this little corner to clean up nicely.
Offset 2, you just need to offset the boundary line along this edge by 1-0", the same as you did for the other boundary line.

I took the time to get it working about 40 minutes. and it took me three separate roofs for the main part of the house. See the attached images. You'll need to make the fine adjustments to meet your roof, but it is pretty close to the rood sketch.

Cheers,
Jeff S.

Appreciate the help. For some reason it won't let me join the roofs.

"Part of the roof to be joined misses the target face"

Does this mean one of my roof sketch lines is off?

jsteinhauer
2013-12-13, 02:52 PM
I wouldn't worry about joining roofs together if the come together at a ridge or a valley. You might also want to put a chimney cricket in. How does it look in 3D?

Cheers :beer:,
Jeff

Boonetrails
2013-12-13, 03:17 PM
I wouldn't worry about joining roofs together if the come together at a ridge or a valley. You might also want to put a chimney cricket in. How does it look in 3D?

Cheers :beer:,
Jeff

Everything lines up except on the top of the roof. I am going to see if I can fix it today.

avalencia60
2013-12-13, 03:54 PM
Hi Boonetrails, the only way to make roofs in two levels is making the lowest first, then cutting it with the Cutoof Level property and later, make the upper roof at the second level and selecting the edges of the lowest roof at the cut level. See the attached image of a house with a roof in two levels.

Thanks, Alex

jsteinhauer
2013-12-13, 07:06 PM
A slight adjustment to the boundary lines should fix these.