PDA

View Full Version : Revit for furniture?

cikguas227
2005-02-28, 08:10 AM
Hi,

I just have 1 hour trial on Revit and am not too knowledgeable. However, from the short stint, I am impressed at how easily one can draw walls, add doors, windows openings, etc to the walls.

Just wondering, case furniture also consists of walls, openings, levels (eg shelves), doors, etc., could Revit be adapted for people in the wood/furniture industries?

SCShell
2005-02-28, 12:20 PM
Hey there,

I do believe that Revit can be for a variety of applications outside of Architecture and the building industry. It is a parametric modeling program, and as such, can be made to represent anything. It just so happens that it is written for us; however, I have used Revit for a few things that I never would have expected.
A very recent example:
I wanted to "chop" my Harley. (Refered to as "raking" my bike.) The only problem is that there are a lot of variables when calculating the rake and trail of the front wheel, which greatly affects the bike's handling characteristics. I simple measured my bike, opened Revit, and went to town modeling it. Because the bike was now modeled in my computer, I could change each individual item and see the immediate results. Amazing.
When I gave my bike builder the drawings, he could not believe it. When he was done doing his calculations, he said my design was within a 1/4" of his. Needless to say, my bike turned out great!

I must add however, there may already be some parametric programs out there that are better suited for your individual applications and needs; but, if not, Revit may be the ticket.

Best of luck
Steve

Martin P
2005-02-28, 01:07 PM
you didnt add some images with this post??!! ;) Would love to see a couple Steve, sounds interesting.....

Are you talking about modelling furniture as if it were a building - using walls and floors etc? I had never considered that, but I suppose it would be very possible to do. Doing it as you suggest could allow for scheduling all the components too..... down to the screws I suppose...

SkiSouth
2005-02-28, 01:43 PM
you didnt add some images with this post??!! ;) Would love to see a couple Steve, sounds interesting.....

Defintely, except - I WANT the revit file!!!!!

gravelin
2005-02-28, 02:27 PM
If your goal is to use the furnitures in an architectural model (or give them to architects)
Yes, revit family could be reasonable.
If you want to manufacture the furnitures and produce technical drawings, in this case take a look at INVENTOR (another Autodesk Product that is parametric).

Scott D Davis
2005-02-28, 04:34 PM
It'll be a great day when Inventor files can be exported to a Revit RFA file. :) (and even RFA's to Inventor.....)

hand471037
2005-02-28, 05:05 PM
If your goal is to use the furnitures in an architectural model (or give them to architects)
Yes, revit family could be reasonable.
If you want to manufacture the furnitures and produce technical drawings, in this case take a look at INVENTOR (another Autodesk Product that is parametric).

I've produced shop drawings for case goods and furniture using Revit. It works great!

However, and this is the big drawback, Revit isn't good at small, curvey, complex objects. It's grand at whole buildings, and commonly we have huge complex building models that choke other 3D softwares that work fine within Revit at our office, and it's much faster to model them in Revit than in anything else I've seen yet. However, trying to model something like a cast aluminum table or chair leg will quickly drive you mad, and be slow, and take way too long- whereas something like Inventor or even a 3D modeling program like Max/Viz or Blender make this almost trivial.

So I think as long as you're not making really curvy stuff, and are sticking to either case goods, casework, more boxy, or more 'traditional' furniture Revit would be fine. If not, then you'll have to look into a different software package.

gravelin
2005-02-28, 05:14 PM
est-ce bien raisonnable de rêver ainsi?
Voici ce que l'on peut obtenir aujourd'hui, cette chaise à été modélisée dans Inventor.

Is it quite reasonable to dream So ?
This is what we can get today, this chair was done in Inventor.

mlgatzke
2005-03-01, 04:37 AM
Yea, here's a high-back mission dining set I created for the design of my own house - more for Prairie Style.

gravelin
2005-03-01, 07:50 AM
est-ce bien raisonnable de rêver ainsi?
Is it quite reasonable to dream So ?

Beau boulot mlgatzke
je parlais de l'intégration directe de fichier Inventor.

Bien sûr, la création de mobilier est possible et facile dans Revit. Cependant, si il faut produire les plans de fabrication pour le menuisier ou pour l'usinage, cela devient moins pratique que Inventor, c'est pourquoi le lien serait très utile

Puisque nous connaissons maintant la table et les chaises de ton tintérieur, je poste ici ma propre table (elle va avec les chaises que j'ai postées précédemment)

Nice work mlgatzke
I was speaking about a Inventor direct link in Revit.

Of course, it's possible and easy to model Furnitures into Revit. However if it is necessary to produce the manufacturing drawings for the carpenter or machining, that becomes less practical than into Inventor, this is why the link would be very useful.

Since we know the table and the chairs you use in your home, I post my own table here (I posted the chairs previously)